Question I have Dell Optiplex 3020, Should I upgrade or buy Xbox one X?

Jul 15, 2019
This is going to be kinda long but whoever is willing to help me has to take the time and read it all.
I currently have a desktop (optiplex 3020) with the following specs
i5 4570
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
290WATT Power Supply
Dell 1080p monitor
I'm thinking of buying a new power supply and RX 580 for this PC or just go ahead and get an Xbox one X.
The issue here is that, I'm on a tight budget. I can't spend more than $450. The Xbox one X cost around $420(new) over here. A used one is about $340.
But before I can buy the Xbox, I have to sell the desktop and add money. So I'll have no PC in my house, only the Xbox ( therefore I'll missed out on all the other things the PC can do apart from gaming). Do you guys think I should go for the Xbox or just upgrade my PC?
One important thing is that, I only play sports games like FIFA and PES and I don't play online. ALSO, PC games are very cheap over here as compared to console. They cost less than $20.

The optiplex 3020 doesn't use an atx psu, however there are plenty of adapters that can be had. The 4570 is a fine chip and still viable for 1080p gaming and the rx580/570 will do well, granted, as long as the optiplex is a MT(minitower) variety. Do be wary that the rx cards are quit warm and the 3020 case doesnt have very good cooling afaik, also that the card may not fit if it's too long.
The 8gb ram is bit of a limit, but should be fine as long as it's 2x4gb rather then 1x8gb.

The xbox will be good for 1-2 years where the next gen xbox will be release dec 2020 and the old xbox will mostly cease having new titles.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If cost is a pure factor, then the PC is the superior gaming platform. Cheap peripherals. Lots of good Steam games out there under $5. Plus the utility to properly browse the web and perform more work related tasks.

Consoles are more optimized than PCs and do a lot more with the hardware they have. Basically, no hassle gaming.

If you look at used graphics cards, you might be able to get something decent, though the RX580 is a good mid-range card. When shopping for a power supply, buy new, carefully look at the dimensions to make sure it will fit in the Dell chassis.

Might also be a proprietary power supply in there. If it only has 4-pins and 8-pins then it is Dell's custom power system. You will need this adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pin-to-...able-for-Dell-Optiplex-Computers/323731727141

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-...Optiplex-3020-7020-Adapter-Cheap/192885895485

Or from a more reputable website: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Jul 15, 2019
If cost is a pure factor, then the PC is the superior gaming platform. Cheap peripherals. Lots of good Steam games out there under $5. Plus the utility to properly browse the web and perform more work related tasks.

Consoles are more optimized than PCs and do a lot more with the hardware they have. Basically, no hassle gaming.

If you look at used graphics cards, you might be able to get something decent, though the RX580 is a good mid-range card. When shopping for a power supply, buy new, carefully look at the dimensions to make sure it will fit in the Dell chassis.

Might also be a proprietary power supply in there. If it only has 4-pins and 8-pins then it is Dell's custom power system. You will need this adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Pin-to-...able-for-Dell-Optiplex-Computers/323731727141

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-24pin-...Optiplex-3020-7020-Adapter-Cheap/192885895485

Or from a more reputable website: https://www.moddiy.com/products/Del...Power-24-Pin-to-8-Pin-Adapter-Cable-30cm.html

Thank you very much. I think I'm gonna go with the PC. What Power supply would you suggest then?

Jul 15, 2019
The optiplex 3020 doesn't use an atx psu, however there are plenty of adapters that can be had. The 4570 is a fine chip and still viable for 1080p gaming and the rx580/570 will do well, granted, as long as the optiplex is a MT(minitower) variety. Do be wary that the rx cards are quit warm and the 3020 case doesnt have very good cooling afaik, also that the card may not fit if it's too long.
The 8gb ram is bit of a limit, but should be fine as long as it's 2x4gb rather then 1x8gb.

The xbox will be good for 1-2 years where the next gen xbox will be release dec 2020 and the old xbox will mostly cease having new titles.

Thank you. I'll get the ATX pin adapter for my new power supply. My ram is also 4GBx2 so I believe I'll be fine. But I'll worried about the heat related issue with the RX580. Do you think I should go with 1060 3GB/6GB?

Although the 1060 will run cooler(not single fan), i'm more concerned about the airflow in the case then the temp of the card, as any card you put in there wont have adequate airflow. The rx580/570 can be had for much cheaper then a 1060 or 1660, so I'd still stick with that and if the temps are too high, take the side panel off or modify the case.

tbh, i have a 120mm fan ziptied on my dell with a 1060 :LOL:

Jul 15, 2019
Although the 1060 will run cooler(not single fan), i'm more concerned about the airflow in the case then the temp of the card, as any card you put in there wont have adequate airflow. The rx580/570 can be had for much cheaper then a 1060 or 1660, so I'd still stick with that and if the temps are too high, take the side panel off or modify the case.

tbh, i have a 120mm fan ziptied on my dell with a 1060 :LOL:

Thanks man. The RX 570 is also very cheap here. I'll go with AMD and make sure there's enough air for the system.

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As for recommendations:

High end:
Hard to go wrong with Seasonic. Corsair TX, HX, RX models, EVGA G2 or G3 models, Antec HCG.

Mid-range:
EVGA B2 or B3 models, Corsair CX or CXm models, other Antec, maybe a Thermaltake TR2

Avoid:
Non-80 plus certified power supplies. Minimum you should consider is a Bronze rating. Some off brands will try to pass of 85 plus stickers as being meaningful. The 80-plus spec is a paid testing service. To meet it means some level of competence in making a power supply.