Question i have double windows 10

Apr 28, 2019
i installed the windows 10 on the wrong disk and then installed again and now i have 2 windows 10 what can i do

Ralston18

Titan
The booting disk should be C:

What/how is the "wrong" disk lettered?

Most likely you should be able to boot into C: and then format the "wrong disk" to clean off windows.

However, can you provide more information just to be sure before doing anything....?

Apr 28, 2019
OK I will rephrase the sentence I installed windows 10 on the 1tb disk and thought I had to install on the other one because my pc starts up fast but after putting the pass takes a long time to open things up then I reinstalled it so it is not in ssd
i have a rtx 2070 i7 9700k 16ram 1 tb disk one ssd 256gb

The booting disk should be C:

What/how is the "wrong" disk lettered?

Most likely you should be able to boot into C: and then format the "wrong disk" to clean off windows.

However, can you provide more information just to be sure before doing anything....?
OK I will rephrase the sentence I installed windows 10 on the 1tb disk and thought I had to install on the other one because my pc starts up fast but after putting the pass takes a long time to open things up then I reinstalled it on ssd
i have a rtx 2070 i7 9700k 16ram 1 tb disk one ssd 256gb

First explain "after putting the pass".
  1. Choose in the BIOS boot order, which drive you want to boot from. If your computer boots from the drive you want to retain windows on, use the Disk Manager * to wipe the disk with the unwanted windows install.
  2. When you boot up your computer, bring up the boot menu (usually f12). this will give you the option of which drive to boot from. Once you boot from the drive you want to keep windows on, then use Disk manager * as before.
  3. Use a a third party utility like EaseUS Partition Master (you'll have to use the paid version) to create a bootable disk version that will allow you to wipe the disk with the unwanted windows install.
* I don't believe Disk Manager will let you delete an active partition (one with Windows installed on), so you will have to use a third party utility for that. EaseUS Partition Master has a free version that will probably do the job. There are other utilities, EaseUS Partition Master is simply the one I have experience with.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
love to see a picture of disk management, I could guess the efi is on ssd and windows might be booting from hdd

Either case, since both new installs, remove the drive you don't want win 10 on and reinstall on other drive. once it boots without any problems, then add old drive and make sure its not added to boot order.

1. simplest way to delete 2nd install is use diskpart, no need for extra software
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
Type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press enter
This will show the list of drives currently attached to PC, make note of the drive number of the drive you want to wipe
If Disk 1 is the drive you want to clear, type select 1) and press enter. A message will confirm it is selected
Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk.
Once you sure its right disk, type Clean and press enter
The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk". Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner.