[SOLVED] (Solved) I have forgotten how to install windows.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have been using linux for a while now.
I got a used xiaomi phone because I want to install Lineage OS.
It requires a windows machine to unlock the bootloader. (or something)
So, I thought, it might make sense to have a windows drive as I might need it now and then.
Someone gave me a windows 8 cd. I have plugged a cdrom drive and an ssd into my pc.
I can't seem to find the boot priority list in my bios.
It is a prime A520M-K.
when i look at guides, it looks different to what I can see.
I am positive I am being stooopid.
Please can you help me?

Thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I'm more impressed you have an optical drive.

I would probably just download Windows 10 or 11 and put it on a USB, but changing the boot order won't change.

Sadly not much documentation from ASUS on that board. Only really covers getting into the BIOS and/or using RAID.

This may help, but it is generic:

:)
I have an old one kicking about.
Also, I tried another one when I rescued a pc from a skip. (I wanted the case)
I would ideally like a windows 10 drive, but have no idea how to do that. I would love some advice.
Last time i did anything on windows was windows 7.
I did the 'switch all' thing. but it said 'no bootable something'
It recognizes both cd roms though. Just doesn't give me the option.

USAFRet

Titan
I would ideally like a windows 10 drive, but have no idea how to do that. I would love some advice.

Reactions: chuffedas

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
According to the manual there are two bios mode screens EZ and Advanced and it appears EZ mode shows the boot order; you can toggle between the two using the F7 key. In order to use an optical drive to boot you'll probably have to switch the bios to legacy/CSM Mode. https://www.asus.com/us/motherboard...0m-k/helpdesk_manual?model2Name=PRIME-A520M-K
Thank you for this.
I have switched things to Legacy by enabling 'launch csm'.
I have the dvdrom as first boot option.
I have tried Windows UEFI and Other OS options.

It either goes to BIOS or just a flashing cursor that accepts no input.

I can't find anything else to try.

Edit: I will give the windows 10 link a try with a usb stick.

Last edited:
There are some other boot options you made need to play with. First it's highly unlikely your optical drive will boot in UEFI mode. I assume you are using a USB optical drive. Under the Advanced bios options there a is a setting for Legacy USB, further in the boot settings make sure fast boot and secure boot are disabled and Under CSM Launch; Boot Device Control; chose Legacy Only.

Reactions: chuffedas

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
There are some other boot options you made need to play with. First it's highly unlikely your optical drive will boot in UEFI mode. I assume you are using a USB optical drive. Under the Advanced bios options there a is a setting for Legacy USB, further in the boot settings make sure fast boot and secure boot are disabled and Under CSM Launch; Boot Device Control; chose Legacy Only.
I do appreciate your help.
However, I do now have a windows 10 drive.
I dug out my old windows 7 drive and it wouldn't boot, but having fiddled with the BIOS re the cdrom on your suggestions, it meant i could fiddle with it.
Anyway, I got it to boot. Then... stuff happened. I now have a windows 10 drive.

I don't remember doing that......

Anyway.
No, I am using a SATA DVDROM. Well, I was, but no point now as I don't want windows 8 lol.
Boy, whenever I do stuff with windows it always confuses me.
Again, thanks for your help.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I do appreciate your help.
However, I do now have a windows 10 drive.
I dug out my old windows 7 drive and it wouldn't boot, but having fiddled with the BIOS re the cdrom on your suggestions, it meant i could fiddle with it.
Anyway, I got it to boot. Then... stuff happened. I now have a windows 10 drive.

I don't remember doing that......

Anyway.
No, I am using a SATA DVDROM. Well, I was, but no point now as I don't want windows 8 lol.
Boy, whenever I do stuff with windows it always confuses me.
Again, thanks for your help.
Great, glad you figured it out. Newer bios/UEFI aren't default friendly with optical drives (eg SATA/USB), and the documentation is very lacking.