Question Power supply for an XFX RX 7600 XT GPU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 28, 2024
Hi, I have recently built a new PC with the following components:

-Ryzen 5600X
-XFX RX 7600 XT 16 GB
-MSI B550M PRO VDH (no wifi)
-Gigabyte P650B 650 watt 80+ bronze
-Windows 11 Pro 23H2

However, i think i made a mistake when i bought the power supply, because it makes a lot of noise as if it's struggling to deliver power and work at full throttle when i'm playing at ultra graphics quality. I was told that this model of graphics card consumes about the same as an RTX 4070. I tested it with my old RX 570 4GB card and didn't have the problem i mentioned. I also had a screen freeze while playing a few days ago and my PC shut down twice.

Now that i'm testing my old graphics card, the power supply doesn't sound like it does with the RX 7600 XT and i haven't had any shutdowns or screen freezes either. At first i thought it was my new video card, but after testing with my old video card i'm assuming it's the power supply. Every time my computer shut down, a white light came on on my card, indicating VGA. And when i wasn't playing games and using my PC for basic tasks, the noise from the power supply was very low and my PC didn't shut down. I should also mention that the RX 7600 XT only goes up to 60°C at 100% capacity, it doesn't go any higher. XFX's website states that you need a 600W power supply for this card.

Last edited:
You really need to know what you are doing if you are going to mess with a dual rail power supply.

Think of this as having 2 completely separate power supplies in the machine each which can put out 350 watts. You have to be very sure to hook stuff up in a way that uses both. You for example do not want to hook up only 1 side and leave the other unused because you would then be limited to the 350 watts. If you do the math 38 amps at 12 volts is 456 watts which gives you a total of 912.....but the power supply says it is only 650. There must be some other limitation.

It is all going to depend on how the cables hook to the power supply and what options you have. If it does not have say the 6 + 2 pin plugs on both 12 volt rails you will have to run the video card on only 1. In that case make very sure you run the cpu on the other one.

I would not use the antec long term just because of the confusing stuff. It should be good enough for you to test the motherboard and video card. Generally you will not damage the power supply even if you were to hook it up wrong it should detect the over power and turn off.....but as mentioned above in the post some MSI stuff would actually self destruct if you exceeded the power limits. They did fix this after a number of youtube channel showed the problems. You should be nowhere near the limits anyway.

May 28, 2024
at worst motherboard is fried

at worst both gpu and motherboard are gone.

one thing you can try is using the earth watts power supply you mentioned with the rx 570 if you have it on hand if it posts the motherboard is fine.

which would state that the psu is at fault
I just put in the Antec power supply and my pc has started up normally. I took out the rx 7600 xt and there is no sign of any problems, no burning smell or anything. It still smells new (I installed it last week).

May 28, 2024
12v only is normal on modern PSUs

12v 1 and 12v 2 are split rails older PSUs use this to make up 650w the issue with that design is you can overload a PSU with split rails if done wrong.
I didn't know that.These are technical things that I don't know. I have installed the Antec power supply, as you suggested to check the motherboard, and my pc has started up normally.

I didn't know that.These are technical things that I don't know. I have installed the Antec power supply, as you suggested to check the motherboard, and my pc has started up normally.
by start up do you mean that the rx 570 is working ? i imagine thats what your using to see if it posted.

if so then that would point to the gigabyte psu being the cause.

the antec should be fine if your using the rx 570 but wouldnt use the rx 7600 xt till you replace the psu

also noted i would uninstall all gpu drivers and reinstall the rx 570 gpu drivers so you dont get further conflicts.

my advice is

upgrade your power supply if you have a budget in mind i can help you find a decent psu online

May 28, 2024
by start up do you mean that the rx 570 is working ? i imagine thats what your using to see if it posted.

if so then that would point to the gigabyte psu being the cause.

the antec should be fine if your using the rx 570 but wouldnt use the rx 7600 xt till you replace the psu

also noted i would uninstall all gpu drivers and reinstall the rx 570 gpu drivers so you dont get further conflicts.

my advice is

upgrade your power supply if you have a budget in mind i can help you find a decent psu online
Yep, my RX 570 4GB is working fine with Antec power supply. And it even worked fine with the gigabyte power supply, because I started playing yesterday and the pc did not reboot. As you say, the problem is the gigabyte power supply that probably came to me failed or simply does not give enough to the rx 7600 xt when it is in full load.

PD: My question is if I change the psu for a much better one, won't my 7600 xt video card become like an airplane turbine when I'm using it at high load? Because in the graphics card I also have that electric sound called coil whine.

Last edited:
Yep, my RX 570 4GB is working fine with Antec power supply. And it even worked fine with the gigabyte power supply, because I started playing yesterday and the pc did not reboot. As you say, the problem is the gigabyte power supply that probably came to me failed or simply does not give enough to the rx 7600 xt when it is in full load.

i would say its the gigabyte power supply at fault

the rx 570 just isnt that power hungry. especially the 4gb model.

you can try running the rx 7600 xt on the antec power supply simply turning it on to desktop wont cause the pc to implode or anything i wouldnt game on the antec though as that would probly cause instability. but if the card posts on the antec then i would assume its the gigabyte psu.

also make sure before you install the rx 7600 xt that the old drivers for the rx 570 are removed.

May 28, 2024
i would say its the gigabyte power supply at fault

the rx 570 just isnt that power hungry. especially the 4gb model.

you can try running the rx 7600 xt on the antec power supply simply turning it on to desktop wont cause the pc to implode or anything i wouldnt game on the antec though as that would probly cause instability. but if the card posts on the antec then i would assume its the gigabyte psu.

also make sure before you install the rx 7600 xt that the old drivers for the rx 570 are removed.
Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, really. I am checking more websites and videos and some users who have this 7600 xt, have 750w power supplies. A few minutes ago I found a video of a store in my country where they build a pc with an asus rx 7600 xt, ryzen 5700x, 16 gb ram, and they put a 750 W power supply. I think I will buy a power supply of at least 850 W, to be calm.

My doubt is if I will no longer have that sound like airplane turbine of my 7600 xt when I have it in high load and that coil whine sound, because when I come to the conclusion that the problem is the gigabyte psu, then with a source of 850 w the graphics will have enough power to work and not have those horrible sounds that emits.

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions, really. I am checking more websites and videos and some users who have this 7600 xt, have 750w power supplies. A few minutes ago I found a video of a store in my country where they build a pc with an asus rx 7600 xt, ryzen 5700x, 16 gb ram, and they put a 750 W power supply. I think I will buy a power supply of at least 850 W, to be calm.

My doubt is if I will no longer have that sound like airplane turbine of my 7600 xt when I have it in high load and that coil whine sound, because when I come to the conclusion that the problem is the gigabyte psu, then with a source of 850 w the graphics will have enough power to work and not have those horrible sounds that emits.
if you want a quiet reliable psu

look at seasonic gx focus 750w gold they can be a bit pricy depending on your area but there worth it.

remember one thing about psu power is not the height of the wattage but the quality of components.

e.g a power supply can be 650w but there are alot of fake psu brands with fake ratings.

some recomendations

Thermaltake GF1 (2024)

Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold

SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX

SeaSonic FOCUS Gold

Corsair RM750

May 28, 2024
if you want a quiet reliable psu

look at seasonic gx focus 750w gold they can be a bit pricy depending on your area but there worth it.

remember one thing about psu power is not the height of the wattage but the quality of components.

e.g a power supply can be 650w but there are alot of fake psu brands with fake ratings.

some recomendations

Thermaltake GF1 (2024)

Super Flower Leadex III 750W 80+ Gold

SeaSonic FOCUS GX-750 ATX

SeaSonic FOCUS Gold

Corsair RM750

Thank you for the PSU recommendations. I think it is a bit difficult to find any of them because I have searched the web, in my country, I am from Peru, and I can not find those models, only the seasonic but 1000w and I think it is already too much. What I have found is the msi mpg a750g and msi mpg a850g, and looking at the tier list of Cultists, these sources are within the tier A. Then on Amazon I have seen a cooler Master V850 SFX gold atx 3.0. Which of these two would be good to buy?

PD: I have continued looking for cases and I have found others where they had the same problem as my pc and one of them had a gigabyte 850 psu supposedly Gold. They changed the source and no longer happened the reboots or shutdowns of pc....

I find it strange that this happens because my brother has a gigabyte P550B 550 watts with a msi gaming rtx 3060 12gb, ryzen 5600g 16 gb and has not had any problems is for that reason I bought a gigabyte thinking they were good.

Thank you for the PSU recommendations. I think it is a bit difficult to find any of them because I have searched the web, in my country, I am from Peru, and I can not find those models, only the seasonic but 1000w and I think it is already too much. What I have found is the msi mpg a750g and msi mpg a850g, and looking at the tier list of Cultists, these sources are within the tier A. Then on Amazon I have seen a cooler Master V850 SFX gold atx 3.0. Which of these two would be good to buy?

PD: I have continued looking for cases and I have found others where they had the same problem as my pc and one of them had a gigabyte 850 psu supposedly Gold. They changed the source and no longer happened the reboots or shutdowns of pc....

I find it strange that this happens because my brother has a gigabyte P550B 550 watts with a msi gaming rtx 3060 12gb, ryzen 5600g 16 gb and has not had any problems is for that reason I bought a gigabyte thinking they were good.

a750g or a850g will be better. less likely to fail due to better components and its a rebranded cwt which cwt make alot of good power supplys.

coolermaster v850 sfx is a form factor that wont work without a bracket wouldn't recommend it anyway.

most likely your brother got lucky and didn't receive a defective unit either that or it will happen eventually.
as I've stated gigabyte when they made these units during the pandemic used a mixture of low and high quality parts. basically they were using what they had on hand.

gigabyte psu are made by MEIC which from what i can tell dont make good psus

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think with the Antec psu age is more a problem than the split rails, you can be sure they made sure most power hungry parts use different rails. Like motherboard+cpu on one and gpu on the other.

The MSI psu's wil do fine, the Cooler master is more of a cable problem, if having a big case some might not reach what they need to, it comes with a bracket so that is not the problem.

May 28, 2024
a750g or a850g will be better. less likely to fail due to better components and its a rebranded cwt which cwt make alot of good power supplys.

coolermaster v850 sfx is a form factor that wont work without a bracket wouldn't recommend it anyway.

most likely your brother got lucky and didn't receive a defective unit either that or it will happen eventually.
as I've stated gigabyte when they made these units during the pandemic used a mixture of low and high quality parts. basically they were using what they had on hand.

gigabyte psu are made by MEIC which from what i can tell dont make good psus
Today I went to the shop where I bought the graphics card. They checked it and did tests with furkmark and other programs. They stressed my graphics card and it didn't sound like it sounds to me, and they didn't even shut down the pc. They also tested it by playing god of war on ultra graphics and nothing happened. The fans didn't sound horrible like they do to me. They tested it using a MSI a650gl or a650gf I don't remember exactly but it was a 650 watt 80+gold power supply and everything was ok, it didn't even sound that electrical noise called coil whine. The pc technician came to the conclusion that it was the power supply. He told me that I had to change the power supply.

Reactions: beyondlogic
Today I went to the shop where I bought the graphics card. They checked it and did tests with furkmark and other programs. They stressed my graphics card and it didn't sound like it sounds to me, and they didn't even shut down the pc. They also tested it by playing god of war on ultra graphics and nothing happened. The fans didn't sound horrible like they do to me. They tested it using a MSI a650gl or a650gf I don't remember exactly but it was a 650 watt 80+gold power supply and everything was ok, it didn't even sound that electrical noise called coil whine. The pc technician came to the conclusion that it was the power supply. He told me that I had to change the power supply.

sounds like the gigabyte was the culprit then not shocking as as ive stated they make really crap psus.

May 28, 2024
sounds like the gigabyte was the culprit then not shocking as as ive stated they make really crap psus.
Hi. Yesterday I bought a msi mpg a850g power supply and now I'm trying to install it but I have doubts, as it doesn't even come with a manual. There are two pci express cables, which one should I connect to my rx 7600 xt graphics card (it has two 8 pin connections).

DS426

Great
May 15, 2024
Agree with @Vic 40 here. Quality versus quantity (watts). There are many decent PSU's out there.

Corsair TXM/RMi/RMx/RMe, Seasonic Focus GX, Superflower Leadex III EVGA G5/G6 among many others. Most of these come with 7-10 year warranties. These are the ones you want. They will last you your next build too.
I also agree with Roland and others on quality for quantity (wattage claims). Not that Gigabyte doesn't have ANY good PSU's, just those models aren't something I'd recommend to anyone for gaming purposes.

To add to that list, EVGA has a few good models, although warranty could be a problem since they are winding down operations. Most Seasonic models are solid, and you'll find that others like Corsair, EVGA, etc. are basically rebadged Seasonic units.

200W isn't "a lot" of power by today's GPU standards. Yes, AMD has to crank them up a little harder than nVidia to get ahead in the performance-per-dollar battle, but most Radeons going back to the RX 400's undervolt really well with only a minor drop in clock speeds. Depends on the game, too, of course.

DS426

Great
May 15, 2024
Hi. Yesterday I bought a msi mpg a850g power supply and now I'm trying to install it but I have doubts, as it doesn't even come with a manual. There are two pci express cables, which one should I connect to my rx 7600 xt graphics card (it has two 8 pin connections).

Either is fine. If you're worried about it, connect both cables so that there's one 8-pin PCIe power connector for each 8-pin female connector on the 7600 XT.

is this the psu you bought ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-MPG-A8...qid=1717535816&sprefix=msi+850g,aps,86&sr=8-3

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A850G-PCIE5

if yes manual here

manual here

https://www.msi.com/Power-Supply/MPG-A850G-PCIE5/support

any of them will work fine i assume your graphic card only has 1 x 8 pin so either will be fine

May 28, 2024
Yes, that was the psu I bought. And indeed, the quality of the materials feels better. Also, it weighs more than the gigabyte psu.

Yeah, I read that a while ago, but it doesn't say which of the pci express cables should be connected to the graphics card. The 16-pin cable with two 6+2-pin outputs (the one that is shielded) or the other flat pci express cables. I understand there is a 16-pin cable at both ends and it says 600w but it is for Nvidia graphics cards. I got confused.

Pd: the graphics card has two 8 pin inp uts.

Yes, that was the psu I bought. And indeed, the quality of the materials feels better. Also, it weighs more than the gigabyte psu.

Yeah, I read that a while ago, but it doesn't say which of the pci express cables should be connected to the graphics card. The 16-pin cable with two 6+2-pin outputs (the one that is shielded) or the other flat pci express cables. I understand there is a 16-pin cable at both ends and it says 600w but it is for Nvidia graphics cards. I got confused.

Pd: the graphics card has two 8 pin inp uts.

the 16 pin with 2 6 + 2 pin outputs is for nvidia

the duel 16 pin is for the nvidia cards as well.

you should have a total of 4 cables the 2 mentioned above

then 2x of the 6 pin +2 pin standard cables

if im right it should have 1 full 8 pin on the end and a 6 pin+2 pin on the end 600mm in lenght

the full 8 pin goes into the psu and the 6 +2 into the gpu

May 28, 2024
Hi,
After a few days of trying to solve my problem, having tried everything, I took my graphics card for warranty at the shop where I bought it. I left the card and today I received an update from the shop and they told me that they tested the graphics card and found that the problem was with the card, so to my bad luck, I got a faulty graphics card. On Monday they will let me know if they will give me a credit note or give me another graphics card of the same make and model.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,
After a few days of trying to solve my problem, having tried everything, I took my graphics card for warranty at the shop where I bought it. I left the card and today I received an update from the shop and they told me that they tested the graphics card and found that the problem was with the card, so to my bad luck, I got a faulty graphics card. On Monday they will let me know if they will give me a credit note or give me another graphics card of the same make and model.
If you get a credit I would check the prices on a 6700XT or 6750XT better cards and depending on where you live could be about the same price.

TRENDING THREADS