I have had 8gb ram is now reading 4gb

eevee12123

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Ok so here again with this problem and now im certain my motherboard is bad but like a month ago i tried turning my computer on from sleep but the screen said no signal so i was like ok whatever ill just restart it and when i did nothing showed up on the screen so starting to panic a bit i reseated the ram and it atleast post but it was reading 4gb of my ram which i have 2 sticks of 4gb ram which i should have 8gb but nope it was at 4gb so after an hour of messing about with it i finally got it to read the full 8gb now a month later it did the no signal screen again this morning so here we go again i reseated the ram and nothing showed up on the screen so reseating and clearing the cmos numerous times i finally got it to post but only showing single channel 4gb and it usually goes to dual channel but not this time so my stupid self tried to get the full 8gb working to no avail and everytime it seems like it only works on single channel my computer is reading 4 gb but when i went to cpuz it said i had 8gb but only 4gb running in single channel now i pretty sure thats a bad motherboard right? please dont be a bad motherboard also btw its an hp computer and they also said it could be a bad motherboard and they said they can pick it up and fix it for 600 bucks and im like nope so any opinions would be nice id really like the 8gb back because my games run bad now and yes yes ik i can build a gaming pc which i wanna do but im saving to build one but im stuck with this at the moment hopefully getting it working enough till i build me pc..... holy crap i can really write a story. so any help would be nice btw its a hp p2378 full specs are there http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03548976&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en it has a decent processor for my needs and was hoping to put a 750 ti in there but it looks grim now. also it said it could be a bad memory controller in the processor which i hope not i read that in some other forums that sound similar to my problem with an apu chip and i dont really have money to blow on this sorta stuff.

eevee12123

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
I tried every slot with both and nothing so i put one in there and numerously reset the computer and cmos because the screen was blank until it post which is like resetting it 20+ times literally i have a blister from removing and putting the chips back resetting the cmos over and over again with the one stick in there till like the 30th time i reset it it post so i turned it off and stuck the second one in the slot its suppose to and it still read single channel which im running right now the main slots are blue and they are like that now and only reading one but during the times i was switching them around in different slots nothing worked so pretty sure the motherboard is faulty right? even if i switched the single chip around you would most likely have to reset the cmos once and it should work right? now as much as i like fixing computers this is my main computer and worried about it never working again.

eevee12123

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
yup they work perfectly but i did notice some corrosion kinda look on some of the chips and capacitors but still works and looked like that last month but still works but looks like when a battery has corrosion.