[SOLVED] I have no idea how to choose the correct RAM for my MSI motherboard

sharronbw

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my RAM which is 2x4GB to 16GB. Purely based on the fact that playing Sims3 (believe it or not it uses a lot of hardware, memory etc) & with some background apps i think my system is struggling a bit). My motherboard is:
MSI H110M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7A15) (U3E1) Version 1.0
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model Kaby Lake
Windows10
In my BIOS it says 4 slots for memory but there are only 2 in total. I have looked on the msi site and it seems that there were a huge amount of RAM recommendations but i clicked on links and it sent me to upgrades for a laptop, i'm on PC. I'm not tech minded and this memory thing is really bamboozling me! I really just need some pointers to know what to buy.
I am based in the EU if that makes any difference on what i can upgrade to.
I was told not to go for RAM running higher than 2133MHz as this is the speed that my board uses.
Any help is hugely appreciated, thank you.

Solution
Your board has only two DIMM slots. If you want 16GB you will need (And should get, anyhow, even if you had four DIMM slots, as all memory should come together in ONE kit if you want any assurance it is going to all play nice together) to buy a whole new kit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-27 15:57 EDT-0400

Those would work fine, assuming you are in the US or another region where they are available. You don't specifically HAVE to use 2133mhz sticks, because the board will automatically downclock faster sticks and...
Your board has only two DIMM slots. If you want 16GB you will need (And should get, anyhow, even if you had four DIMM slots, as all memory should come together in ONE kit if you want any assurance it is going to all play nice together) to buy a whole new kit.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2133 CL15 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $54.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-27 15:57 EDT-0400

Those would work fine, assuming you are in the US or another region where they are available. You don't specifically HAVE to use 2133mhz sticks, because the board will automatically downclock faster sticks and should work fine as long as the kit is otherwise compatible. So if you can get a faster kit for less than you can a 2133mhz kit, that is fine too.

Reactions: sharronbw
Solution