Question i have old pc and want to know some thing

doobo123

Commendable
May 1, 2017
hello I have i7 4790k stock 4ghz
and ddr3 1600mhz
500gb hdd
zalman cnps90 cooler that I want to rplace but not have space in case
I heavy gamer but cant buy new gpu right now or new pc so I stuck with this 5 years right now
my pc case is this and when my pc shop I bought the pc from installed my gtx 1060 6gb gigabyte g1seen that It it very big but they said it fit fine and it look like it fit fine and when I playing I get performance that is 50 60 70 fps and old games 100+ but I was seen artifacts little and still seen them but ignore them any way I not have warranty any more but right now my pc spike in games from 49 /59 idle to 83 and when there is a lot of dust to 90+ so I was looking to upgrade my cooler but see that there is no good cooler that can fit 155mm max case clearance and I do not know how but in pcpartpicker it show that I can fit this 158mm clearance cooler to my 155mm case but the gtx 1060 6gb gigabyte g1 it not let me only the small one and I want to buy this cooler

and I do not going to build new pc I build this because wanted to see if all my parts will fit I do not have the same hdd and cpu cooler as in the list I have 700w Zalman power supply beside the hdd power supply and the small gtx 1060 I have and the cooler I have all this parts in list I want to buy the cooler in the list but my case is up to 155mm clearance and I have the big gtx 1060 6gb gigabyte gpu if it work so it mean it site good I heave artifacts little but it still work great not problems in past 3 years I do not know what cpu cooler I can fit I want this one in the list but afraid it will not fit because the big gpu my gpu is 278mm and my case is up to 266 and cpu cooler is 159mm what I want but my case up to 155mm

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

www.amazon.com/Antec-Mid-Tower-Computer-Pre-Installed-Mini-ITX/dp/B006TVQU6C

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your partpicker link is just to the website, not your particular build, so missing a lot of info there.

Nothing wrong with an i7-4790k really. Even at stock speeds it is still competitive with all but the latest i7, i9, and Ryzen 7 processors.

So, I'm not 100% sure if you are asking if you can buy that case and install the existing hardware in it, or if you already have that case and want a CPU cooler recommendation.

83C is the typical throttle point of Pascal GPUs, so that seems normal if you are running it hard. Though I am not sure if you are referring to your GPU when you are talking temperatures.

90+ for the CPU is a little concerning, and there are certainly plenty of CPU coolers you could get that might be better than what you have.

If the basic question is can a 159mm cooler fit in a case with a max limit of 155mm, the answer is mostly going to be no. You might be able to shove it in there, only about half a centimeter, but it would probably make the side panel difficult or impossible to install.

If you want a recommendation, it would help to know where you are buying from.

Zalman isn't really well know for their power supplies, so if you are having issues I would start there. Get a high quality 550W supply from EVGA or Seasonic.

I recommend making a list of your goals rather than that wall of text. Hard to tell what you are talking about.

If you are thinking about a new case, Newegg has it where you can sort cases that will take over a 159MM Cooler/heatsink, I am in the middle of changing mine now because it has a 212evo 159mm and my case is only 155mm, I had to leave the side panel off and put a table fan on it until I could get another case. This might fit, it is only 152mm, kind of pricey though https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835118075

Last edited:

doobo123

Commendable
May 1, 2017
no I not thinking about new case I want new cooler for my pc with this correct case so help me what can fit ? I have all ready zalman power supply 700w that the only type the shop have they work with zalman power supply not other power supplys only them and cooler only them as well and i have the case i only want good cpu cooler that can fit 155m i want good cooler that not expnsive like the noctua nh-u12s but it 158mm and I do not know how but the shop fit to my case 278mm gpu the gtx 1060 big one from gigabyte and the tempture I talk about is that my cpu heat up in intel stress test to 95c when I run the test for 10m and when I run to 5 it heat to 87c and in games I get in heavy games 83c 78c and when I have a lot of dust now I do not 90+ that fan ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX not in stock any more and i buy in shops in israel I want to rplace my cooler with better one that not out of stock old and that can fit I do not know how the shop put the 278mm gtx 1060 in the case 266mm size of gpu I cant buy right now new case or pc i can only buy cpu cooler even if i have little artifacts in my gtx 1060 and performance are 60 50 fps i cant rplace it and i want to but cant right now and there is games old that i get 100+ fps the low temp on idle is 48 jump to 50 55 and then 60 and down to 48 50

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If your case has that bulge in the side panel, I don't see why not. Personally I would stick with the specified limit. Partpicker seems to think it can handle much taller CPU coolers and the photo evidence is pretty compelling.

You can always measure the distance yourself to confirm. Go from the surface of the cooler to the edge of the case, measure the side panel separately, add them together, subtract the thickness of the sheet metal.

Plenty of good coolers under that size. You could be absolutely safe with something like a NH-U9B SE2

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think you have enough to draw your own conclusion. Looking at existing builds is something I do myself when there is a reason to do so. I think Amazon/Antec simply used the distance from the CPU to the chassis rather than the extra interior volume of the side panel.

That BeQuiet cooler is quite good if you were considering it.

doobo123

Commendable
May 1, 2017
I want the noctua nh-u12s can it fit same size and that be quiet ? it is good right it work no problem with ddr3 ddr4 ? even if it old it better then the be quiet ?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't really speak to what memory you have and if it would interfere, so you will have to look at that closely.

Age of a cooler isn't important, possible exception of a fan bearing drying out for some reason. Only what it can do matters. You can seek out independent reviews of the coolers in question. Though I find most CPU heatsink reviews to be far from conclusive most of the time. Or they make odd choices of things to compare them against.

Noctua is known for doing the job while being quiet. There are coolers that perform better out there, but nothing that does it as quietly from what I have seen.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You keep repeating the things we already know and not providing any new information. I'm not sure how to assist you further.

If you listed every single exact part you have and intend to use, I could, maybe, get some figures or examples (though you've already done part of that) to show if it is possible. The other key factor is that you have the system in hand, you can take physical measurements. Noctua has a line drawing here you can use to figure out where everything will end up. You can even make a mockup out of paper. https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s/specification

DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, irrelevant. What matters is where they are in relation to the CPU socket and and how tall they are.

You have the option to move the fan around on the heatsink. Up for a little more clearance, or completely to the other side to clear the memory.

doobo123

Commendable
May 1, 2017
what I mean is I ask if the cooler will work with the memory ddr3 ? because it say in amazon page do not know why ddr2 sd ram so I have ddr3 and when I will have 4 I will be able to use it the cooler with ddr4 memory ? I not ask about if the fan will fit right now I seen it can fit I still did not got it i ask if i will not have problem with the memory when i will active the pc with the cooler

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are referring to the 7 fans in my build, that is why it is quiet, not loud. With 7 fans and 2x280mm radiators I don't need them to spin fast. The pump is far louder than the fans, but it is close to 4 years old at this point.

doobo123

Commendable
May 1, 2017
how the 7 funs is quiet if it 7 ? even if they not speed full speed ? and how you not go crazy from the noise of the Swiftech - H240-X this the radiators you talk about the water cooling ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure how to describe slower equals quieter any better. Just something you have to know from general life experiences?

1 fan at 4900 RPM, vs 7 fans at 700 RPM, which do you think would be quieter?

I said the pump was louder than the fans, or really just a different type of noise, not too loud to ignore. Also the matter of sound effects and music levels that are generally at a higher volume than the computer. Kind of has to be that way to hear them.

If you make a loud computer for games, that isn't a big deal, most people use full coverage headsets these days. If you are making a workstation then you want it to be quiet, sure, but that isn't what I built. I could certainly turn down the overclocks and run it much, much quieter, but that isn't why I built it.