Question I have OS on SSD and OS on a HDD

Mar 5, 2019
So, I have this doubt... I just installed a OS on my SSD (before the process I removed my HDD). So, before all this, I had my OS installed on my HDD, and now on my SSD. My doubt is: can I plug the HDD now, even if I already have a OS (on the SSD), because I want to use it as storage

Jordan42

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Yes you can plug in the HDD. Just make sure you go into the bios and make sure the ssd is the boot drive. I would then go into windows and format the HDD so it is clean.

Reactions: myzzk

Ralston18

Titan
You should be able to do so.

However, you must ensure that BIOS is set to the desired boot drive. I.e., either the SSD or the HDD.

Plug in just the SSD and boot.

Then check Disk Manager and BIOS to ensure that you know which boot connection is in use.

Disk 0 should be set or established/connected as the boot drive.

There should also be some labeling on the motherboard. Check that as well.

Reactions: myzzk
Mar 5, 2019
** this forum is just ** the best :eek:

[Moderator note: Yes. Thank you. However one of many reasons for that is, per Forum rules, no profanity permitted. We are family friendly. Your wording was edited out.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
Slow down some.....

First ensure that the SSD (Disk 0) is booting and that the drive is booting and that all is well.

Then power down, connect in the HDD (Disk 1) and reboot.

I do not recommend trying to plug in drives with a powered up system.

Once both drives are working and their respective data files are accessible then start copying data to other locations. Use Copy and not Move.

After the copying is complete and you have verified the copied files to be accessible and readable then go back and delete the originals. But if there is no need to immediately delete the originals no harm in waiting.

Just to ensure that all has gone well.