Build Advice I have parts for a build, I am aware of XMP and 4xDDR5 6000 Issues, need advice.

Apr 15, 2024
Someone thought they could "Autobuild" me a PC and have the parts delivered because they were confident in my ability to make it all into a spaceship. I Have a PhD in Rocket Surgery after all...
"@#%$#% !!!"

They failed to register that I have NEVER worked with parts of this caliber. I've been Frankenstein-ing PC's with used parts and parts from recycling/transfer centers, and buying mid range parts at best when needed for years... I can fix older stuff and make broken things work, If they're dated...
xD xD xD

I need to figure out what to do with this build to configure it properly, and I am not looking to min-max. After assembly, I'll be using this to game casually (mostly singleplayer stuff like Fallout 4, Skyrim, Elden Ring, etc...), and to produce music and stream/record DJ sets.

Parts are what I have to work with, I don't need criticism, I need to make this SING! I will likely never push this thing to any crazy limits, I DO run a lot of mods in my games and use a lot of external MIDI hardware and stuff too.

~Build~
Case/Tower: Thermaltake CTE 750 ARGB E-ATX
MoBo: MSI CARBON MPG Z790 WiFi II
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900k 14th Gen. (Thermalright LGA1700 Contact/Anti-Bend frame on it for a MUCH better seat and temps)
GPU: ASUS Strix Nvidia RTX 4070 TI Super OC Edition
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000/1000w 80+ Gold Prem.
RAM: 64 GB G. Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000/PCS 48000
SSD: Corsair MP600 Core XT M.2 2280 PCIE 4.0 x 3D QLC Internal AIO Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II
O/S: Windows 11 PRO
**Using Thermal Gorilla KryoPad for the i9-14900k**

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
So, what's your issue? You need step by step advice on how to put it together? Or have you attempted assembly and run into problems?

Briefly, you should read the manuals for your motherboard and PC case. You may have to look them up online. They will have basic instructions on how to assemble most of the PC.

The case will probably have motherboard standoffs installed, but check. These are mountings into which you screw down the motherboard. You align the holes in the motherboard with the standoffs. There should be up to 9 of them, with different locations for different size motherboards. It's not really rocket surgery at this point, just a matter of checking up on this.

Also check fan locations and cooler locations and see if there's any clearance/space issue.

When you are confident you have read all the instructions, you should make an effort to discharge any static electricity you may have built up or use a special wrist strap.
Then take the motherboard out of it's wrap, place it onto the wrap bag, and the bag onto the box the mobo came in or a desk.
You should install the CPU according to instructions. It's mostly foolproof.
Add CPU cooler backplate, frame or other stuff, then install RAM (motherboard manual will probably say to put them in A2 and B2 slots) and decide which M.2 NVMe SSD slot you want to install the SSD drive into.
- If you use the "CPU side" M.2 slot, it will downgrade the GPU PCIe x16 slot to 8x. Not a major concern even if gaming is important which you say it isn't really.
- Alternatively use one of the "chipset side" M.2 slots. SSD speeds will only be massively ludicrous instead of completely insanse. Like a car that accelerates 0-60 in 3.033s instead of 3s flat. A difference but barely noticeable. The GPU will have all 16x lanes for itself this way. Not that it makes all that much difference.

If your motherboard has a M.2 heatshield, check whether it has a thin plastic film under it. You're supposed to remove it before installing the NVMe drive.

Depending on the case itself you may want to install the PSU before the motherboard. It's manual will show how. And it's simple.
Or you may want to install the motherboard first.

With the CPU, RAM, NVMe drive installed, place the "motherboard assembly" into the case, onto the standoffs. Then screw it down. Don't tighten all the screws fully until you've got all of them in. Then go around again and tighten each screw fully. Helps prevent flex damage.

If you haven't installed the PSU, do that now.

Next steps are academic. Install the GPU (remove the PCIe slot shield if the GPU comes with one!!), hook up all the cables:
- motherboard power cable
- CPU power cable
- PC case may have USB port cables so attach those to the USB headers. They're different shape so can't miss
- Case may also have power and LED cables. Motherboard manual shows where those go. Ask here if you're unsure
- GPU needs power from the PSU
- if you have other drives or stuff that needs power, hook up those cables as needed

Next stop are the fans. If you have a ton of fans, use a fan hub. That will need power from the PSU. Avoid daisy chaining fans onto a single motherboard fan header. It can damage the motherboard.
Motherboard manual shows where to connect fans and/or ARGB connectors.

Lastly, install the CPU cooler and attach everything.

Once you power the computer up and install the OS and drivers you may want to also update the motherboard BIOS because it may be out of date. Once you do that, don't flash the BIOS unless you have to because it's risky.

This is just an overview. Check and double check all your manuals. If you have specific questions, shoot.

Apr 15, 2024
I was just asking for some experienced user opinions on how to configure things once assembled and what a good choice for the RAM issue is currently. I just started the build today, but want to be well informed when it comes to a pretty widespread and known issue. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to type all of that out, and I will use it as a reference along with my manuals and .pdf's and update/patch notes. You're awesome for that.
:)

Apr 15, 2024
Ah, I realized my error here. In my specs I did not list that it was 4x16GB sticks of DDR5 6000...
Apologies, I was still getting coffee and starting my day.

Reactions: 35below0