[SOLVED] I have to turn on my PC twice to POST, after I cleaned it with an air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

javier2409

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
As the title says, about two weeks ago I decided to clean my computer using an air compressor but now I have this problem. For my pc to fully boot I have to follow these steps:

1. Press the power button, fans start to spin but the computer doesn't even get to the motherboard logo
  2. Long press the power button to turn it off
  3. At this point if I press the power button again, nothing happens, I have to unplug the computer from AC, wait for the motherboard led to turn off, then plug it again.
  4. Press the power button again, this time the computer boots successfully

I already disassembled the whole computer and assembled it back just in case something was moved and ended up badly connected or something. I've read in some forums that this behavior could be related to a faulty PSU but that doesn't make sense if everything was working fine before the cleaning, unless it got damaged in the process. Also, the computer works fine when it gets to boot, even playing intensive games and such.

Any help is appreciated.

As the title says, about two weeks ago I decided to clean my computer using an air compressor but now I have this problem. For my pc to fully boot I have to follow these steps:

1. Press the power button, fans start to spin but the computer doesn't even get to the motherboard logo
  2. Long press the power button to turn it off
  3. At this point if I press the power button again, nothing happens, I have to unplug the computer from AC, wait for the motherboard led to turn off, then plug it again.
  4. Press the power button again, this time the computer boots successfully
I already disassembled the whole computer and assembled it back just in case something was moved and ended up badly connected or something. I've read in some forums that this behavior could be related to a faulty PSU but that doesn't make sense if everything was working fine before the cleaning, unless it got damaged in the process. Also, the computer works fine when it gets to boot, even playing intensive games and such.

Any help is appreciated.
Have you tried to clear the bios? If clearing the bios you could need a bios update it maybe a flash problem from being powered off and unplugged so long during the cleaning process

javier2409

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Have you tried to clear the bios? If clearing the bios you could need a bios update it maybe a flash problem from being powered off and unplugged so long during the cleaning process
The cleaning process wasn't that long, I always power off and unplug the computer when I'm going to sleep and that's longer. But yes, I've already cleared the bios. I'll try with the bios update.

javier2409

Honorable
Dec 20, 2014
Turns out the problem was that the CMOS battery was dead, I didn't think this was the problem at first because it died some weeks before this problem began. I replaced it and haven't experienced the problem again at least to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.