Question I have tried both 2.5 SSD and HDD neither recognized by windows installation

Mar 30, 2022
I have tried both 2.5 SSD and 2.5 HDD in tower utilizing all the different SATA ports on the Asus Prime H670 Plus D4 Motherboard. I updated the BIOS, I have tried setting it up to legacy. The Bios sees the drive in EZ-Mode, but when I attempt to image it with the Windows OS on bootable Thumbdrive, the windows Installation does not see any of the drives I have attempted to use. I have them all initialized with partition and quick formatting from another PC. If I have the drive plugged into USB the OS installation sees it, but can't image a drive plugged into the USB ports.

Any help would be appreciated

I have tried both 2.5 SSD and 2.5 HDD in tower utilizing all the different SATA ports on the Asus Prime H670 Plus D4 Motherboard. I updated the BIOS, I have tried setting it up to legacy. The Bios sees the drive in EZ-Mode, but when I attempt to image it with the Windows OS on bootable Thumbdrive, the windows Installation does not see any of the drives I have attempted to use. I have them all initialized with partition and quick formatting from another PC. If I have the drive plugged into USB the OS installation sees it, but can't image a drive plugged into the USB ports.

Any help would be appreciated
The windows installer program prefers only 1 drive connected inside the computer at the time of installation; additional drives can be added after installation is complete. The drive should be prepared with a GPT partition identifier and all of the drive space should be unallocated. The installer program will handle all of the necessary partitioning and formatting as part of the install process.

Mar 30, 2022
The windows installer program prefers only 1 drive connected inside the computer at the time of installation; additional drives can be added after installation is complete. The drive should be prepared with a GPT partition identifier and all of the drive space should be unallocated. The installer program will handle all of the necessary partitioning and formatting as part of the install process.
I have the drive as GPT partition with no allocated space and Windows installer still doesn't see the drive as an option in the blank list. I have only the one HDD as the SSD doesn't come up as select able drive.

Any other suggestions? I have never had this much of an issue with getting Windows to install.

I have the drive as GPT partition with no allocated space and Windows installer still doesn't see the drive as an option in the blank list. I have only the one HDD as the SSD doesn't come up as select able drive.

Any other suggestions? I have never had this much of an issue with getting Windows to install.
Did you reset the motherboard to Secure Boot from before when you had it set to Legacy? If you put the BIOS into advanced mode and exit/reset to default values, does the SSD show when the computer reboots? Are you saying you disconnected the HDD and you still can't see the SSD?

Mar 30, 2022
Did you reset the motherboard to Secure Boot from before when you had it set to Legacy? If you put the BIOS into advanced mode and exit/reset to default values, does the SSD show when the computer reboots? Are you saying you disconnected the HDD and you still can't see the SSD?
I reset to default. Only have the one HDD in the system. I selected Secure Boot option. Tried it with and without Windows UEFI and standard and custom options. Still can't see the drive when attempting to install the Windows OS.

Any other options or thoughts on this?

Last edited:

ZV505867

Prominent
Apr 1, 2022
What Windows PE version are you running? (7, 8.x, 10, etc.)? If you are running Windows 8.x, it won't recognize NVMe drives, but I found that on modern computers, if you use Windows 10 PE and replace the install.wim (deployment image) with the install.wim from a Windows 8.x image, it will install and boot correctly. For Windows 7, I would recommend getting the drivers slipstreamed or loaded during installation, because Windows 7 may not support booting directly from NVMe drives.

TRENDING THREADS