[SOLVED] i have tried so many things in obs settings and the quality still looks very bad

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I dont really know wich category i should put it in but i have a problem with obs the video quality is bad its not terrible if fells like beetwen 480p and 720p it is watchable but i feel like i can improve it i trie turn up the kbps from 10000 to 17000 it works but i feel like it can be even more better and i dont want it to take to much space either i dont think many know about obs since this is for computer components and stuff but there should be someone that could help me :)

Solution
im just gaming and recording i guess i just have to be patient

I only make these changes, so try them and see if you get better results.

Output mode: Advanced

On the Recording tab
Recording format mp4
Encoder: NVIDIA NVENCH H.264 (new)
Rescale Output: blank
Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 7000/8000 Kbps for 720p @ 60fps (16000k for 1080p @ 60fps)
Keyframe Interval: 2
Preset: Quality (20 series Max quality)
Look-ahead & Psycho Visual tunning: checked

On the Video tab
Output scaled resolution: 1280x720
Downscale Filter: Lancsos
Common FPS Value: 60 (change it to 30 if you are doing 720p @ 30fps)

On the Advanced tab
Color Range: full

If OBS needs more resources and you get Encoder overload errors... then change Process Priority...
4th Gen Ryzen CPUs have already been released. The Ryzen 5600x, 5800x and so on have been available for a while now. And by "available" I mean technically they are out there, although actually getting your hands on one is a different story, much like the Nvidia 300 series graphics cards right now.

However, your system SHOULD be capable enough for recording decent quality video, depending on what resolution you are actually running and what kind of quality settings you have configured?

Is it gaming that you are trying to record, or something else?

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
4th Gen Ryzen CPUs have already been released. The Ryzen 5600x, 5800x and so on have been available for a while now. And by "available" I mean technically they are out there, although actually getting your hands on one is a different story, much like the Nvidia 300 series graphics cards right now.

However, your system SHOULD be capable enough for recording decent quality video, depending on what resolution you are actually running and what kind of quality settings you have configured?

Is it gaming that you are trying to record, or something else?
yeah like gaming its at 1920x1080p 75fps but it doesnt look like 1080p like 480p it is watchable but i want better because i can
have 4th gen been released i didnt know that i was gonna wait for 4th gen because if i bough gen 3 and like a month later they release gen 4 then i already got outdated components. r5 5600x exist in my country huh didnt know that ive had this pc since summer and since i have always wounder why didnt i update bios and bough a 3rd gen

i often try get as high fps as possible Like texture quality and stuff like i often have that on high or medium and rest useless thing low because i try to get as much fps as possible without looking terrible

Last edited:
I dont really know wich category i should put it in but i have a problem with obs the video quality is bad its not terrible if fells like beetwen 480p and 720p it is watchable but i feel like i can improve it i trie turn up the kbps from 10000 to 17000 it works but i feel like it can be even more better and i dont want it to take to much space either.
i dont think many know about obs since this is for computer components and stuff but there should be someone that could help me :)

Are you gaming, recording and streaming at the same time or just gaming and recording?

It is kind of hard to find the "best settings" in OBS since we all have a bit of different setups.
If you follow a video or guide, it might not work since it was done on a different system.
I have used OBS on several system and they all required different settings.
I usually start with the base settings, then adjust and test.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Are you gaming, recording and streaming at the same time or just gaming and recording?

It is kind of hard to find the "best settings" in OBS since we all have a bit of different setups.
If you follow a video or guide, it might not work since it was done on a different system.
I have used OBS on several system and they all required different settings.
I usually start with the base settings, then adjust and test.

On the Recording tab
Recording format mp4

On the Video tab

On the Advanced tab

If OBS needs more resources and you get Encoder overload errors... then change Process Priority: to Above Normal (it could result in lower FPS while gaming)

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Solution

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019

On the Recording tab
Recording format mp4

On the Video tab

On the Advanced tab

If OBS needs more resources and you get Encoder overload errors... then change Process Priority: to Above Normal (it could result in lower FPS while gaming)

On the Recording tab
Recording format mp4

On the Video tab

On the Advanced tab

sure i can do that i already have encoder on the gpu wich i probably always will have because thats the gpu job to render 3d
i will try these i want to do 1080p so i will try 720p is fine to but 30fps feels a bit poor but. the thing is im not really good at this stuff so i dont really know what the setting do example like b frames and stuff

Last edited:
sure i can do that i already have encoder on the gpu wich i probably always will have because thats the gpu job to render 3d
i will try these i want to do 1080p so i will try 720p is fine to but 30 fps feels a bit poor ...
As I say you could try different settings....but with your hardware I would recommend 720p @ 60 fps max.

...but the thing is im not really good at this stuff so i dont really know what the setting do example like b frames and stuff
That's how everyone started. We learn by trying different settings, testing and see what works and what does not.
If do not know what a settings do, I just leave it alone or I try it and see the results.