[SOLVED] I have two controllers and it's a problem.

TonyACG51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I keep running into this issue with having multiple controllers connected (Razer keypad, 3d connexion, ps5 controllers all connected). It's Steam or Epic related. When I try to play games with two controllers connected, there are issue.

Problems it's causing.

1: If I bump the cord for one of the controllers, it causes freezing. Short stutters in game play.

2: In some games controller will not work. Just plainly in big picture mode, the controller is recognized though will not work. (Only in Steam)

3: Makes my game lag in other apps, such as Epic or Ubi.

any thoughts or solutions?

Last edited:
Solution
1: If I bump the cord for one of the controllers, it causes freezing. Short stutters in game play.

the chip on motherboard that controls USB also runs GPU so its all related.

Are all the controllers USB? Are they attached to back of PC?
Does it happen if you only have 2 attached? And any two of them?
It could be a bad cable is to blame.

2: In some games controller will not work. Just plainly in big picture mode, the controller is recognized though will not work. (Only in Steam)
does it happen to all controllers?

I can find it causing input lag...

Colif

Win 11 Master

I can find it causing input lag

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-suspend-99b5ae85-69cb-4f94-adce-5698ba44804f

Reactions: TonyACG51
Solution

TonyACG51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I can find it causing input lag

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-suspend-99b5ae85-69cb-4f94-adce-5698ba44804f

Yeah I have 4 game controllers, I connect and use only one of these at a time (it doesn't what controller I have connected). Yeah all devices are USB connect to the back and I removed each one until I narrowed down the problem. The problem is any 2 devices recognized by Steam as a controller being connected. The cord is ok once I remove the other devices. And the cord is using an extension cable making it 18 feet long, which may cause the problem.

Also Thank you for the link, I will look into that. I am hoping to find a solution, I won't have to disconnect the devices every time I want to play a game.

TonyACG51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
So are they all running off a hub attached to an 18 foot long cable?

No only my video game controller is connected to the extension. Rest to the back of my PC. Only one device for each usb port. The stuttering in game doesn't happen when there's no controller connected to it. Though doesn't solve the other problem. It's interesting the stuttering happen when I played Dota 2 and I think it maybe telling me something about why or how to narrow down the issue. I play Dota 2 with a Keypad that Steam thinks is a controller. Maybe if there was some kind of device identifier or tool to help isolate them, then maybe Steam would have less of an issue. Though honestly, I have a z97m I think from 2014 so an upgrade may solve this issue anyway.

This setup in the video (I haven't watched). This is how I know what devices are detected (by Steam). My problem is, if there are more than one controller, I am running into issues. For example, if there are 2 devices detected by Steam, my controller in big picture mode works fine. Though when I launch a game (for example Sekiro), the controller doesn't function. Steam knows it's there and works in big picture mode. Here's another detail, Steam controller can be mapped to Keyboard and Mouse so the track pads register in the game, allowing the mouse to function though the controller, when I have two controllers connected. Though as a controller generically will not function. I am sure it's Steam not supporting multiple controller devices or I need to edit some settings to remove the problem. I'll check those solutions out, to test my theory .

TRENDING THREADS