Question I have two drives (hdd, c:/ & ssd, storage) on my system. How do I upgrade from win7 to 10 without losing data or access on the second drive?

Apr 28, 2019
This may seem a simple question but I have read problems with Win10 not recognizing a second drive after an update or upgrading. I am needing to upgrade my pc from 7 to 10 and wondering if I'm going to have problems with the second drive. How can I do so without losing data (on either drive)?

(I already killed one OS this year tinkering and lose everything so, I may just be paranoid).

USAFRet

Titan
"read problems with"
Be careful of what you read. Often, it has no relevance to your specific situation.

First off, with any major change, be it hardware or software, really needs a full backup before you start.
An OS update qualifies as a 'major change'.

Generally speaking, it will go without an issue. Of course, things may happen.
"I hit the wrong key"
"My cat stepped on the keyboard"
"The power cut out"
or
"Windows really did screw things up"

Always have a fallback position.

Apr 28, 2019
I agree (about not trusting everything I read) and usually don't. However, I really have no experience with operating system changes so Thank you for answering.

USAFRet

Titan
Not having sufficient space for a backup is a problem in and of itself.
What would you do with a physical drive crash, or a serious malware infestation?

But, moving on...
A cloud based solution would work, bu it will be slooooow.
And that backup needs to be tested. Do you know how to recover from disaster?

You can try this without any backup, but if things go wrong (small percentage), you're up a creek sans paddle.

Apr 28, 2019
Yes, Yes, I know I need a better backup plan and a trusted ext drive. I haven't got the funds for that atm.
ON the second:
  1. There is a complete recovery of my previous drive when it crashed 2 years ago. I'm sure I don't need the entire thing ( all the system files and what not.)
  2. both (new) personal files and apps. Most of the apps I can reinstall easily. A few are large and take a long time (so I'd rather not have to if I can help it).

USAFRet

Titan
A backup from 2 years ago is next to useless.

Options:
  1. make a current backup, overwriting that old one
  2. Disconnect the secondary drive. The Upgrade will probably work, and still allow you to access the applications on that drive.
  3. Do the Upgrade with both drives connected. It will probably be OK. Probably.