[SOLVED] I have two routers and two PCs and I want to connect them through one Ethernet cable. What should be the setup so I can get optimum speed and ping?

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
I have two PCs on two rooms of mine. What I plan to do is connect the Ethernet cable to my first router and connect it to my first PC through LAN. Then connect my second router to the second LAN port (of the first router) and connect the second router to the second PC through LAN. FYI, I need wireless network on both routers as well. I need to know if this is a good idea or not. TIA!

Solution
When you set it up that way you basically have a dumb unmanaged switch with a wifi radio. Ethernet/ethernet will perform the same as if you just used a switch. The router part of the box is not used.

The wifi part is also pretty much not affected.

Ralston18

Titan
Like this (line diagram) where ----> represents an Ethernet cable.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

ISP ===> Modem ----> [WAN Port] Router 1 [LAN Port 1] ---> first pc and [LAN Port 2] ---> [LAN Port 1 ] Router 2 [LAN Port 2] ---> second PC.

Plus wireless ~~~~ > from the routers to wireless network devices.

Yes you can do that but the second router must be set up as an Access Point and have its' DHCP functions disabled.

Make and model routers?

Reactions: bill001g

RIFATZX

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Like this (line diagram) where ----> represents an Ethernet cable.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

ISP ===> Modem ----> [WAN Port] Router 1 [LAN Port 1] ---> first pc and [LAN Port 2] ---> [LAN Port 1 ] Router 2 [LAN Port 2] ---> second PC.

Plus wireless ~~~~ > from the routers to wireless network devices.

Yes you can do that but the second router must be set up as an Access Point and have its' DHCP functions disabled.

Make and model routers?

That's exactly the setup I thought about. But will it make things hard between the computers when? Like is it possible to play online games in both at the same time? Or watch movies online?

When you set it up that way you basically have a dumb unmanaged switch with a wifi radio. Ethernet/ethernet will perform the same as if you just used a switch. The router part of the box is not used.

The wifi part is also pretty much not affected.

Solution