[SOLVED] I have what i believe to be a memory leak, how do i fix it?

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
So a week ago one of my Ram slots simply stopped working, which is odd, the Mobo isnt that old nor the PSU, since then what i realized is that my computer is, for some odd reason using all my virtual memory aka pagination files in windows and once it reaches full capacity everything starts crashing... Usually chrome stops working, sometimes it even closes it self, discord, asana, slack, and any programs similar to those keep reseting.
i've been with my pc like this for about a week now, trying various things from disabling services to trying to see if its X o Y program thats causing it but it isnt...
afaik this classifies as a memory leak but pleasecorrect me if i'm wrong

Some Specs just for info:
Ryzen 5 1600x (about a year old)
8Gbx1DDR4 (it used to be 8Gbx2, about a year old)
Windows installed in a Samsung Evo 850 250Gb about 22Gb of virtual memory available(about 5 y/o now)
1TB HDD Seagate (corrupted, will buy a new one next month)

Solution
Also, i though it was a leak since it was "leaking" the ram usage into the virtual memory
The virtual memory (pagefile) was being used more simply because the physical RAM is no longer available.

A "memory leak" is when an application is done using some RAM (you closed it), but does not release it back to the system.
The next time you use that application, it grabs more RAM. And again does not release it.
Repeat repeat repeat.
The RAM available to the system goes down for no good reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or occur at the time of crashes.

Likewise look in Event Viewer. (Reliability History is a bit more user friendly.)

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that precede or occur at the time of crashes.

Likewise look in Event Viewer. (Reliability History is a bit more user friendly.)

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?
Deep cool DA500 500w, about a year old, bought it new, been using her since... can

That's not a "memory leak".
Rather, that is a broken RAM stick, or motherboard slot.
As i said i had two RAM sticks and one of the slots slimply died a week ago, i know that's the slot because i've already tried every combination and the if any RAM is in the B slot it just wont work, i guess thats the mobo fault then, didn't know that the a faulty mobo slot could drain memory, thx for the info!
Also, i though it was a leak since it was "leaking" the ram usage into the virtual memory

USAFRet

Titan
The virtual memory (pagefile) was being used more simply because the physical RAM is no longer available.

A "memory leak" is when an application is done using some RAM (you closed it), but does not release it back to the system.
The next time you use that application, it grabs more RAM. And again does not release it.
Repeat repeat repeat.

Reactions: kemorno
Solution

Repeat repeat repeat.

Windows will clean up all allocated RAM when the main process thread for an application dies. RAM only leaks nowadays when an application doesn't handle allocation/deallocation properly. Any leaked RAM should not live past the lifetime of the application responsible.

Regardless, it sounds like the OP has a motherboard where the B RAM slot has failed.

kemorno

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
Just to keep you Updated
Yesterday I formated my Sdd where i had my windows installed because i had a lot of junk in it
The problem hasn't happened since, its been on for about 8 hours now, before the wype it used to crash every 2/3 hours or so

ALSO, my virtual memory settings look like this... There's no drive there