I hope you could help me with Acer e1-472

Mark Jason Recabo

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
I was trying reformat this laptop of mine but couldn't load the bootable flash drive with Win 10 preview. I remember in the past reformating it changing the UEFI BIOS to Legacy BIOS and was able to load the bootable device.

So this I did is:

- Did a bootable Flash drive with win 10 preview os
- to able to load it, I press f2 and then change the UEFI BIOS to Legacy BIOS
- During the partition part, I delete all the partition because installation of new OS in local C disk won't let me install. By deleting all the partition, I was able to make it into 1 unallocated partition (GPT partition problem), with that I can make new partition and install the OS.
- All went good, installing drivers and programs and here comes my question. As I remember to change back to default settings Bootable settings and the BIOS because I did change that in the first place to load my bootable flash drive, it says "No Operating OS Found" but when I changed it back to UEFI BIOS to Legacy BIOS again, the win 1- preview will load up and work smoothly.

Any Ideas?

Solution
Hi Mark,

You are absolutely right! The UEFI architecture is built in such a way that it doesn't allow booting from external devices for security purposes. This is because UEFI runs a system certificate scan on all the OS files before boot and this isn't possible if you are booting through an external drive.

So, our only option here is to stay with legacy boot if you are looking to boot from external hardware in future. Hope this helps!

Best,
Akshat

AkshatG

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Hi Mark,

Once BIOS mode is changed from UEFI to Legacy it cannot be changes back to UEFI and successfully boot. This is because the installation was done using Legacy mode and the UEFI checks for the security certificates and might not be available as Legacy mode was used while installing.

This is especially the case with Dell laptops or any other laptops with OS post Windows 8.

Mark Jason Recabo

Reputable
Jun 25, 2015
@AkshatG

Thanks for your answer! But this wouldn't affect my laptop right? And what If I am going to load the settings back to UEFI again but the problems is I won't load the bootable flash drive I did. Any ideas on that?

Thank you so much! Much Appreciated

Mark

AkshatG

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Hi Mark,

You are absolutely right! The UEFI architecture is built in such a way that it doesn't allow booting from external devices for security purposes. This is because UEFI runs a system certificate scan on all the OS files before boot and this isn't possible if you are booting through an external drive.

So, our only option here is to stay with legacy boot if you are looking to boot from external hardware in future. Hope this helps!

Best,
Akshat

Solution