I installed windows 10 then reverted back... can i still get windows 10 free after today?

LuckyTheLadyBug

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015
So I installed windows 10 on two of my CLS laser etcher machines but the software needed to run them is not compatible. I need to update my program but the company that provided the machines needs to be there to do it for some reason.

I have a project I need to start working on Monday, so I needed to revert back to windows 7 in order to fulfill that.

Since the company won't be able to assist me until tuesday... is it possible that since I updated to windows 10 and then reverted back I will be able to upgrade for free at a later time?

Thanks

Solution
Its a brave new world now upgrades are not an option and until I can find something in writing from Microsoft I wasn't 100% sure of situation

according to this you should be able to reinstall win 10 again:

When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a PC running a genuine and activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 operating system, your PC receives a “digital entitlement.” Basically, Microsoft notes on its servers that your particular PC’s hardware is eligible for Windows 10 going forward.

Once your PC is eligible, it’s always eligible–you can reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and it’ll automatically activate, without you even entering a product key. You can even install a different operating system–like Windows 7 or Linux–and reinstall...

Colif

Win 11 Master
How long were you on Win 10 before reverting back to 7? How long ago did you upgrade to Win 10?

If you were on 10 for longer than a month then your digital entitlement (otherwise known as licence key) is a win 10 one and you can just reinstall win 10 after Tuesday. Your current win 7 install would be unactivated if that is case.

If you upgraded recently and then rolled back, you have one month from the initial install date to reinstall Win 10 before its status changes or remains same.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
long as it activated when he upgraded the first time then hed be fine . if it didn't avtivate windows 10 online when he did the first upgrade and imeditally reverted before the os actived.

yeah man it would have to be on that exact same computer though . and ya don't have to do a upgrade long as it activated the first time just download the Microsoft media creation tool down load the corespoding home or pro iso and or region veraion like the European version dosnt include media player and stuff against eu law if it does and then create the media with the tool and do a fresh 10 install problem solved

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
1) Originally you have a licence to some earlier Windows, say Windows 7.

2) By accepting Microsoft's offer of free upgrade to Windows 10, your licence gets switched to a Windows 10 licence. If you don't go back to Windows 7 within the 30 days period, it will always stay this way.

3) If you revert the upgrade within 30 days and go back to Windows 7, the licence again gets changed into Windows 7. Licence-wise it's as if you never upgraded at all. You don't have Windows 10 licence at this point.

So basically, there's no way to fool the system using upgrades and downgrades to award you multiple licences. With one original purchased licence (or one that came with your computer) you can only have either one Windows 7/8/8.1 licence or one Windows 10 licence existing at any one time

LuckyTheLadyBug

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

There is a lot of conflicting answers here. Does anyone mind sharing sources?

LuckyTheLadyBug

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

There is a lot of conflicting answers here. Does anyone mind sharing sources?

LuckyTheLadyBug

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

I installed windows 10 on Friday. Since we don't work on weekends and I can't get the company's help until Tuesday, I NEEDED to revert back to windows 7 on Friday again to get the Laser Machines working again on Monday.

If I understood what you said...I will be able to go back to windows 10 after Tuesday?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its a brave new world now upgrades are not an option and until I can find something in writing from Microsoft I wasn't 100% sure of situation

according to this you should be able to reinstall win 10 again:

When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a PC running a genuine and activated Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 operating system, your PC receives a “digital entitlement.” Basically, Microsoft notes on its servers that your particular PC’s hardware is eligible for Windows 10 going forward.

Once your PC is eligible, it’s always eligible–you can reinstall Windows 10 from scratch and it’ll automatically activate, without you even entering a product key. You can even install a different operating system–like Windows 7 or Linux–and reinstall Windows 10 later, fully activated and genuine.

Note that this is tied to your computer’s specific hardware, not your Microsoft account. The free Windows 10 license you receive will only work on that PC–if you upgrade the motherboard or try to install Windows 10 on another PC that doesn’t have the digital entitlement, it won’t work.

http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
That doesn't change a lot, it just allows them to reduce the restriction on the hardware as after the update you will be able to swap motherboard without win 10 deactivating itself

Here's the short version: Beginning with the Anniversary Update, version 1607, you'll be able to link a Windows 10 digital license with a Microsoft account. This linkage occurs automatically if you're signed in with a Microsoft account when you upgrade to version 1607.

For anyone else, including those with local or domain accounts, this step is optional. In any case, it applies only to those who have a Windows 10 digital license. That group consists primarily of those who took advantage of the year-long free upgrade offer that ends on July 29, 2016.

This new feature doesn't change the fundamental way that Microsoft's activation servers work. The process of activating Windows relies on a unique installation ID, which is based on a hash of information taken from the hardware on which Windows is installed. That hash is reportedly not reversible and is not tied to any other Microsoft services. It identifies a specific device, not a person.

When you use a product key to activate Windows for the first time, that installation ID is recorded in the activation database alongside the product key you entered with the installation. Later, if you need to reinstall the same edition of Windows on the same hardware, with the same product key, activation happens automatically. (Conversely, if you try to use that product key on a different machine with a different hardware ID, you'll probably be denied activation.)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tweaks-activation-rules-for-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

LuckyTheLadyBug

Honorable
Jul 5, 2015

You know, you should deselect the best answer I, THE OP, selected.

Why are you one here if you are just here for best answers? Then it is a waste of time. You should be here to help people. I value your input and I apologize I am unable to give you a "payment".

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
yeah welded since I was kid did it full time after got fed up in the military. 38 now and right hand I broke back in 06 is clubbing and lost slot of movement .
only thing I dono is take the dog to the park or mess with the computer .
and lately when bored of gaming try helping peeps on the forums best as I can for something to do .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Answering questions is fun but even I need a break from it sometimes as I have the Toms add on for chrome and can see if I get responses and some days it feels like a job :)

I only started answering when someone else helped me and I felt obliged to help back. Pius I learn heaps just by figuring out the answers for others. some day I might need to use the advice I give others.

Keep answering if you like helping :D