[SOLVED] i just got the RTX 3080ti, and im getting really low fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2021
CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: RTX 3080ti 12gb FE
MB: asus rog strix b250i mini itx
Ram: 16gbs 3600mhz g.skill ripjaws v 3600 (16gb)
PSU: gold power supply 650w
I ran it on valorant too with the lowest settings and got 170-210fps which is almost the same as what my RTX 2070 did, but when I run it on COD Coldwar I get less fps than the 2070
also the CPU usage gets to 70% and the GPU usage gets to 40%
I need help!!!

Solution

This is 100% the issue.

Single channel RAM will slow down you CPU's ability to access the data in the RAM which in turn prevents it from pre-rendering frames fast enough and causes an artificial CPU bottleneck. (It's artificial in the sense that under ideal circumstances your CPU might be fast enough to feed your GPU the frames it needs, but due to your single stick of RAM, it is unable). Your PC sorely needs dual channel RAM: two identical sticks of RAM. Since you already have 1 x 16 GB, you will need to buy an identical 3600 MHz 16 GB stick of RAM. This will allow your CPU to work at its full potential and feed your GPU the frames it needs, increasing your GPU utilization and increasing your frame rate.
hi, if you replaced GPU, try DDU old nvidia drivers first
if your GPU has low usage, than its waiting for CPU, reducing graphic details/resolution will drop gpu usage as CPU will need to work harder
you can also try in nvidia setting to enable low latency mode (so cpu will not prebuffer next frames)

CPU: i7-7700k
GPU: RTX 3080ti 12gb FE
MB: asus rog strix b250i mini itx
Ram: 16gbs 3600mhz g.skill ripjaws v 3600 (16gb)
PSU: gold power supply 650w
I ran it on valorant too with the lowest settings and got 170-210fps which is almost the same as what my RTX 2070 did, but when I run it on COD Coldwar I get less fps than the 2070
also the CPU usage gets to 70% and the GPU usage gets to 40%
I need help!!!

Do you have 2 x 8 GB sticks of RAM or 1 x 16 GB stick of RAM?

Jul 23, 2021
hi, if you replaced GPU, try DDU old nvidia drivers first
if your GPU has low usage, than its waiting for CPU, reducing graphic details/resolution will drop gpu usage as CPU will need to work harder
you can also try in nvidia setting to enable low latency mode (so cpu will not prebuffer next frames)
I did ddy my drivers. Its the same. I will try the low latency mode and see if that will make any difference. Thanks a lot tho

This is 100% the issue.

Single channel RAM will slow down you CPU's ability to access the data in the RAM which in turn prevents it from pre-rendering frames fast enough and causes an artificial CPU bottleneck. (It's artificial in the sense that under ideal circumstances your CPU might be fast enough to feed your GPU the frames it needs, but due to your single stick of RAM, it is unable). Your PC sorely needs dual channel RAM: two identical sticks of RAM. Since you already have 1 x 16 GB, you will need to buy an identical 3600 MHz 16 GB stick of RAM. This will allow your CPU to work at its full potential and feed your GPU the frames it needs, increasing your GPU utilization and increasing your frame rate.

Solution
What resolution are you running?
Are any of the cpu threads near 100%? Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, it only takes 1 thread near 100% to limit performance.

Running a single stick of RAM will impact performance as it runs at half the bandwidth (single channel) and not dual channel. Although with that cpu it is less so than others.

You may need to manage expectations here. The 7700k was great in its day but it’s entry level, 4 core 8 thread is i3 level now and many newer AAA games will use more cores/threads when available. You have a top end gpu paired with an entry level cpu. The higher the resolution you use the lesser the cpu will hold you back.

Reactions: dotas1
This is 100% the issue.

that would cause stuttering in game, intel doesnt have ram bandwith starving as AMD does...theres almost zero benefit going from single to dual channel on intel platform (maybe small bump in minimum fps, but its tiny), if he got no stuttering in games, than single channel ram is no issue here

Reactions: ZomBeeZ
if its running at 40% power, then its not necesary

Yeah, but:

1. When the issue is fixed his GPU will run at higher loads and require more power

and

2. When he at some point plays a more GPU heavy game his GPU will run at higher loads and require more power

Saying the required PSU wattage is unnecessary simply because his GPU isn't running at its full potential yet seems a little short-sighted to me.

Reactions: dotas1 and ZomBeeZ
Jul 23, 2021
This is 100% the issue.

Oh god!! More spending! I was thinking of buying one. I think its time to do it. Thank you

Jul 23, 2021
What resolution are you running?
Are any of the cpu threads near 100%? Total cpu usage is fairly meaningless, it only takes 1 thread near 100% to limit performance.

Running a single stick of RAM will impact performance as it runs at half the bandwidth (single channel) and not dual channel. Although with that cpu it is less so than others.

You may need to manage expectations here. The 7700k was great in its day but it’s entry level, 4 core 8 thread is i3 level now and many newer AAA games will use more cores/threads when available. You have a top end gpu paired with an entry level cpu. The higher the resolution you use the lesser the cpu will hold you back.
Im running 1080

Yeah, but:

1. When the issue is fixed his GPU will run at higher loads and require more power

and

2. When he at some point plays a more GPU heavy game his GPU will run at higher loads and require more power

Saying the required PSU wattage is unnecessary simply because his GPU isn't running at its full potential yet seems a little short-sighted to me.
but still, that gpu eats 350watts max...those recommended specs are there so people with no brand cheap psus wont blow it, better quality psu u got, lower psu wattage is no issue

but still, that gpu eats 350watts max...those recommended specs are there so people with no brand cheap psus wont blow it, better quality psu u got, lower psu wattage is no issue
RTX 3000 series are notorious for their huge power spikes that trip some of the best PSUs out there. OP's GPU is the second most power hungry GPU from that series. I wouldn't even consider a PSU below 850w from a known good quality series such as RMx, Hx, Ax and so on.
Btw, I am also with @RTX 2080 on this. He is spot on.

By the way, seeing as how your refresh rates are already higher than your monitors refresh rate, it wouldn't hurt to turn up graphical settings in Valorant; turning down graphical settings only increases your refresh rate if your GPU is the limiting factor in your build, which in your situation it is by far the most powerful component of your build.

By turning up your graphical settings to medium or even high, it'll increase the load on your GPU (from it's current 40% utilization) to something higher. Since the load on your CPU stays the same, your frame rate shouldn't change at all.

But don't take my word for it: experiment with it a little; there's a good chance you'll be able to enjoy the frame rate you already have with the bonus of better visuals!

Jul 23, 2021
By the way, seeing as how your refresh rates are already higher than your monitors refresh rate, it wouldn't hurt to turn up graphical settings in Valorant; turning down graphical settings only increases your refresh rate if your GPU is the limiting factor in your build, which in your situation it is by far the most powerful component of your build.

By turning up your graphical settings to medium or even high, it'll increase the load on your GPU (from it's current 40% utilization) to something higher. Since the load on your CPU stays the same, your frame rate shouldn't change at all.

But don't take my word for it: experiment with it a little; there's a good chance you'll be able to enjoy the frame rate you already have with the bonus of better visuals!
Yeah you’re right, but when i play COD Coldwar i get 40-70 fps on the lowest setting, thats what bother me the most

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
that would cause stuttering in game, intel doesnt have ram bandwith starving as AMD does...theres almost zero benefit going from single to dual channel on intel platform (maybe small bump in minimum fps, but its tiny), if he got no stuttering in games, than single channel ram is no issue here
dual and single channel is night and day difference. It's twice the bandwidth and potentially twice the performance in select programs.

As to the " intel doesnt have ram bandwith starving as AMD does", they are all CPUs and are influenced by the same factor, and in this case memory bandwidth.

I agree with RTX 2080 on this, get another memory module, and it must be identical!

Im running 1080
Ultimately the 3080Ti is overkill for 1080p today, even the best CPU’s will hold back the gpu in many games. The high end gpu’s are better suited to higher resolutions if you want to fully utilise the gpu’s potential. You are in the worst position, entry level cpu with a gpu that’s overpowered for the low resolution. Due to the gpu being able to technically run much higher FPS that puts extra work on the cpu. If you were running 4K and therefore lower FPS any cpu limitation would be much smaller.

AB2647

Prominent
Jul 12, 2021
Yeah, but:

and

And that's how I fried my HD 6950. "I'm using an FPS limiter, there's nothing wrong with it."

Status
Not open for further replies.