I just wonder......

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If someone has ever measured the temp of the Thunderbird core-holder. It should also be at an high temperature because the processor die is embedded in it.
If one should put some arctic silver on it (only on some spots that dont make contact with the bridges) then place a copper spacer on it, put some arctic silver on the spacer and then place the heatsink.
This will make a thermal bridge between the coreholder and the heatsink. I think that a lot of heat, that normaly stays around the die, can be evacuated like that.
Comments good or bad are all wellcome :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's what some of the suppliers claim. As for me, I have a PIII with a PLASTIC core holder. Let's see, no heat transfer, but it DOESN'T CRACK! Came in handy one night when I put the heatsink on in a dimley lit room with the clip on BACKWARD (oops), realized what I had done immediately, and did not have to worry about cracks.

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman Sorry m8, but I can't follow you here :) This is not about "to crack or not to crack" the coreholder but about evacuating heat from the the processor die :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just a note that using a copper shim would probably be more helpfull for an Athlon than a PIII because silicon is a better heat conductor than plastic, but on the flip side, plastic is less prone to cracking. Personally I liked the P1 and 486 idea of making the thing 1/8 inch thick solid silicon, reguardless of core size, from both the durability and heat-transfer viewpoints. A copper shim would serve the same purpose as making the chip flat on the top like the old ones were.

Mahimahi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Of course Crashman, I meant it to go on an Athlon proccessor, but do you think the arctic silver will do the job here without damaging anything.
Besides,the layers of arctic silver between core holder-shim-heatsink will be thicker than between the die and the heatsink because the shim is thinner than the space between the heatsink and the core holder, You think it is worth trying?

G

I know that thermal goo is better than the tape that comes with heatsinks. When I got my HSF though, I didn't have any with me, so I just put it on with the tape (I know, dumb, but the nearest town that sells arctic silver is about 100 miles away and didn't think it mattered that much at the time). I'm headed towards that town in a couple of days, would it be worth it for me to pick up some arctic silver? And if yes, would I have any problems getting the old thermal tape off of the core? The reason I ask is because I seem to be getting a little higher temps than I did when I first got the HSF, a GlobalWin Fop38. I'm wondering if the tape is not doing its job properly.

Greg

Duron 700@900 Asus A7V 1003
128mb PC100 WD 30gig ata 100
prophet II mx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Tape sucks. I had thermal goo (pink stuff) on mine, I washed it off with hot water (around 140F). For tape, I would just srape it of with a razor and wipe the residue off with acetone (nail polish remover). Even that cheap paste form Radio Shack gave me 3C better cooling, and Artic Silver is widely reported by testers to be 5C better yet!

Suicide is painless...........

G

5C!?! I'm there dude! Thanks for the info

Greg

Duron 700@900 Asus A7V 1003
128mb PC100 WD 30gig ata 100
prophet II mx