Question I keep having to install audio driver to restore sound and/or mic functionality ?

What would cause this? On my son's computer, he keeps randomly losing sound and/or mic ability. If I reinstall the audio driver from the motherboard's website, it works again but
after some time (happens once an hour or so) the mic will cut off again and not work, get the mic running and I'll lose sound. Until of course, I reinstall the driver again. help?

Asus Prime B550M - A
AMD R5 5600G
NVidia 2080
16GB 3200 RAM
500GB M.2 SSD
Corsair CX650W PSU

Ralston18

Titan
Verify that the source website is the real motherboard's website.

Just because the manufacturer's name appears in the URL does not mean that the website is the manufacturer's website.

Download the driver manually, install, and configure. No third party tools or installers.

Watch out for other apps, etc. that may come along with the download. Some sites slip in other "pre-approved" software that gets installed as well.

Try turning off or disabling all power/screen savers to determine if the problem stops.

= = = =

With an hourly "lifetime" there may be some other app or process launching that interferes with sound and/or mic.

Two immediate places to look:

Relibility History and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error code, warning, or even informational event that occurs just before or at the time the mic cuts off.

Reliability History is much more end user friendly and the time line can be very revealing especially for patterns; e.g., hourly occurences.

Event Viewer takes more time and effort.

To help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Lastly, consider Task Scheduler.

Something else may be running that after running an hour or so triggers some other process that causes the mic to cut out.

Look at tasks and triggers.

Double check your audio settings in Windows. Sometimes when drivers for devices that have audio capabilities get installed/updated the default output/input devices get changed. I've had to disable NVIDIA High Definition Audio so many times over the years across several machines. Hasn't been an issue recently but I HAVE had issues with Discord and Arctis knife fighting over the outputs...

Reactions: drea.drechsler