[SOLVED] I know it's stupid but...

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
So I clearly know and understand how stupid my question is but please try your best :p

GTX660 + Intel Quad core q6600 on Corsair CV450 [no rgb, no ssd, only 1 hdd, no overclocking]

Does that not work? Does that PSU cannot handle those two together? I know how much q6600 is bottlenecking 660 but I just wanna know it at this point after trying so hard.

Every time I try booting my PC with Pcie connector both cpu fan and 660's fan will spin for half a second then stops and nothing else happens. No display, no light, nothing.

I tried booting without Pcie inserted but card still in and it booted and showed the error "Please connect your PCIE connector to your graphics card."

Right now I am on GT710 and q6600 with same PSU [Corsair CV450] and its working just fine. My guess is probably either GPU [GTX660] is internally shorted or PSU simply cannot handle these two together and is shutting itself down coz of over current protection. I just wanna hear something from someone who is actually experienced with this stuff.

And if CV450 is not enough will CV550 be enough? I am not actually gonna buy or anything coz ofc I am not that stupid but I am curious now because after adding both GPU's and CPU's TDP 450 "should" be enough.

TDP of GTX660 is 140w [max]
TDP of q6600 is 105w [acc. to intel's site]

Solution
So for anyone it concerns and people who will possibly visit this thread in future-

GPU was internally short out. PSU is fine and can run them both together. GPU itself shorted out. So yeah... problem solved.
My guess is probably either GPU [GTX660] is internally shorted or PSU simply cannot handle these two together and is shutting itself down coz of over current protection.
Good guess. That's exactly, what I was thinking.
Damaged graphics card - most likely. Or very old PSU, that can't handle the load anymore.

I hope you're not using some molex to pcie power adapters, to power graphics card. If those are wired wrong, that might cause short.

prophetmason905

Reputable
Feb 9, 2018
So for anyone it concerns and people who will possibly visit this thread in future-

GPU was internally short out. PSU is fine and can run them both together. GPU itself shorted out. So yeah... problem solved.

Solution