I lose signal to monitor but computer still runnig

Oct 12, 2018
Hey guys. So i have build an entire new computer, every part is new except the GPU which i took from my old computer. Put everything together and booted the computer and it worked, everything was running including fans and liquid system. I thought it was working 100pct, because i installed League of Legends and it ran with 200+ fps at highest settings. Then i tried to install fortnite and everything ran smoothly until i minimized the window, or tried to play the game (fortnite) and suddenly i lost connection to the monitor (no signal) but my computer was still running and the fans in my GPU started working at max speed. After a while i could press the off button on the computer and it would shut off.

Here are my specs;
CPU: AMD ryzen 7 1700x 3.4Ghz 8core
GPU: AMd Radeon rx480 nitro sapphire 8gb oc edition
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8gb 2666 MHz
MOBO: MSI b350 Tomahawk
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
CPU COOLER: Masterliquid ML240L RGB
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x 2018 Edition 80 plus gold 850w

Besides that i have RGB lighting with remote control, and 1 120mm fan inside the case.

So first time i build the pc it was with another PSU the first one was Corsair VS Series 650w 80 plus, and this was the PSU i used to play LOL at 200+ fps. But when running more demanding games it would simply make me lose signal to the screen, and GPU ran at max speed. IT seems like everything else is running fine, I downloaded Coretemp to check temperature and it never got over 50c and its base was around 35c. So i dont think it is my CPU overheating. The next thing i did was uninstalling all GPU drivers and reinstall them again (AMD) i even tried to go back to previous versions to see if they worked, they didn't. After some googling around asking about the same kind of problems(loses signal to monitor, and my fans go crazy), and 60pct all all solutions was get a new PSU. So i went and bought a better PSU, Corsair CX650M 650w 80 plus bronze, installed it and tried everything again. Again it ran LOL with no problems at all, still 200 fps at highest settings. But then again i ran fortnite and same problem happened. I googled around some more and i feel like i have tried every solution. I have updated all possible drivers and the newest version of windows is installed. I have tried to install previous version of the GPU drivers. I have been in power settings and turned all to max power, and made sure the monitor never goes to sleep etc. After everything failed and i still got the same issue, i went and bought a new PSU cause i feel like i have tried everything that can be done on the computer, i have updated the BIOS to the latest, so i dont think i can update anything more at all on the computer. The new PSU i got was, CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x 2018 Edition 80 plus gold 850w, and i installed everything and i still got the same problem. I feel like it is the GPU, cause when i tried to stress test it or run anything else demanding, i would get the exact same problem, i lose signal to monitor and computer still running with fans spinning at max.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 5, 2018
there are very few things that could be wrong
drivers(i doubt it)
GPU
Cooling(GPU)
Power(ruled out)
so the only thing left with this kind of shutdown is the GPU is dead or the drivers are just using windows standard
check in device manager make sure the correct drivers are installed. other than that do you have another motherboard that you could test this on? even an old dell system should work.

Oct 12, 2018

Oct 12, 2018
Hi, i did go to device manager and install all the latest drivers, nothing happened. And i havent tried on another mobo, if i do this (i have an older one) and it works properly, you say i can play fortnite on it without shutting down? Because i also used this GPU on my old com, and i never had this issue.

InvalidError

Titan
"computer is still running" - what is your basis for saying that? Can you still hear music and other sounds continue playing normally? If your PC is on but not responding to anything, it has crashed and is no longer 'running'. Fans jumping to max when that happens is a survival mechanism: the fan controller is no longer receiving control messages telling it what speed the fans need to run at, assumes the worst case power draw and temperature to be on the safe side and runs fans at full speed.

Since you tried everything else, a faulty or unstable GPU seems like the most likely reason.

Maybe you never had this issue on your old computer because it wasn't pushing the GPU hard enough to trigger the issue.

Oct 12, 2018
All lights are still running including CPU cooler fans, no music or sounds. Basically everything is running but it loses signal to monitor, it says it enter sleep mode. But i used this GPU on my old setup and this problem never accured before

I would test with another video card before swapping out anything else. The issue you had was that the system was crashing before, you changed the PSU with a good quality one, still same issue. So it's most likely the issue is with the video card, or it was a power issue that caused an issue with the card that just carried over when you got a new PSU. What is happening is not likely the motherboard. Usually people ask here because they hope someone will say "no it's not the video card it's some $5 part you can buy cheap", but that is pretty much never the case. You think it's the video card, need to test the video card.

Oct 12, 2018
How do i test the videocard? i tried stress testing it but it would just cause the same problem again. But you are saying that the first psu i used damaged my GPU? Because it worked in my old computer.

Take out the card, put in a known good one see if that works, try your card in another system and see if same thign happens. I am not saying it damaged it, I am saying it could have.