Question I might have killed my GPU. need help troubleshooting

Feb 28, 2020
Thanks in advance for the help.

Currently:
PC only boots in safe mode, BSOD upon entering password otherwise, usually instantly. Hyper-V virtualisation failed to find its driver but everything else checks out in safe mode. I've run every diagnostic from CMD i know, (including memtest,sfc,startup repair) and i'm out of tricks.

When it started:
Was messing with core overclocks on my GTX 1070ti in Afterburner, i pushed it +180mHz core and +650 mem. I knew 145mHz/650mHz was stable so i was going to run some stability tests. Upon applying the change i lost most of my FPS on desktop. I tried to set it back to my stable config but the screen froze and i couldn't apply the changes in time. Backscreen, fans stopped a moment later.
Troubleshooting:
Tried safe mode, worked. looked around, saw nothing out of the ordinary except Hyper-V failing to load. (i run hyper-v disabled, didnt worry about it) Called my friend, he said the card was probably crashing due to high clock, (duh) and i would need to reset it to an OK speed. OK, so i uninstalled Afterburner and booted again using integrated graphics for my display out. Seemed OK, so i plugged back into the GPU to run some tests. Load test saw 26% max utilisation. I left it for awhile, probably 10 minutes, no change. When i came back i opened windows settings, to be met with another BSOD. (??)
More things i tried over the 14 hours ive spent so far trying to fix this
Reinstalling Afterburner, using brief time before crash to verify GPU was running stock speed (it was)
Wiping windows
Wiping and reinstalling all display drivers
Wiping all data on my boot disk

Situation:
Now that i wiped everything, i have no network driver, and no access to a disk drive to pull it off this disk i have onto a pendrive.
Safe mode still works fine
Crashes happen soon after loading desktop outside safe mode (usually instant upon entering my password, but sometimes i have 1-2 seconds to look around)
I have a bit of an attitude because nothing is working and i might have just killed my GPU, excuse my probably agressive wording.

My thoughts:
I think flashing vbios might help, dont know how to do that though, and i dont have an extra video card to put in slot 0

In closing:
Any advice or things to try are welcome, I would really like to avoid losing this GPU, and honestly i still am not sure what exactly is causing the problem. any way to determine if it really is the GPU being burned out clocking too high. I've always kept my temps under control, the highest i let it go is probably around 85C, but usually it's closer to 70. It is an old card though, and ive done some light mining on it while i'm away.

Feb 28, 2020
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
It's gold certified and only 2 years old, so it's probably not the issue.
Every part here is almost 2 years old except the 8gb ram and the GPU
MOBO - ROG Strix z-370-H
CPU - i7 8700k w all-in-one watercooling loop, 2 fan radiator
RAM - 24gb 3300mhz (2x4gb)+(2x8gb)
GPU - 1070ti titanium edition by MSI
PSU - Corsair TX650M gold certified