Question I mistakenly plugged PCIe power cable in to CPU power connector on my motherboard !

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2022
Hi, I made the huge mistake in assuming that I can plug in a PCIe power cable into the cpu slot.

The MB has two 8 PIN connectors so I assumed that I need to use the PCIe cable instead of the CPU cable.
I plugged both in and turned it on. Nothing happened. After that I realized what I had done and plugged the CPU cable in.
Now the EZ Debug LED for the CPU is solid on when I turn on the PC. The CPU fan is running at a normal speed, nothing on the Monitor and it keeps running until i cut the power. The GPU turns on as well.

No pins on the MB are bent and the CPU is installed correctly. I also tried every RAM combo to try to get it to boot.

Did I fry the MB or the CPU?

I have an 12700k and an MSI z690-a wifi with ddr5

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
There's a reason why the connectors are labelled/named differently, whereby the supplemental power for the CPU comes from the EPS connector apart from the main 24pin connector while the supplemental power for the GPU is coined the PCIe connectors. The other thing is you can't force the connector into one another meaning you might've used some form of brute force to get a PCIe connector into an EPS connector.

You might have to source another board...given how the pinouts on the two aforementioned connectors aren't the same.

Make and model of your PSU? How are you cooling that processor?

May 5, 2022
I did not brute force anything it fit perfectly. That’s why I thought it was fine.

The PSU is a bequiet Powerzone 750w bronze. For cooling I’m using noctua Nh-d15

Status
Not open for further replies.