[SOLVED] I need advice on getting a new GPU (My 980 gave up on me after six years)

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Hello, guys. After almost six years, my GTX 980 gave up on me during the worst possible time. There are no cards, and the cards that "launch" get scalped or gotten by miners, which leaves most players with very limited options. Look at the second-hand market (which is just as overpriced), pay silly high prices for new somewhat powerful GPU's, or try to get a card that might help me play most games at medium settings 1080p.

I have set my eyes on a new 1650 super (MSI Gaming X) that I saw on eBay. The thing is that I would have to pay around 500 US dollars. For a card which original's MSRP was around 185 dollars (I think), it is more than double.

My problem is this. I know that the company or companies that supply the stuff to make the cards stopped working for some time, and just restarted their work recently, and as long as the pandemic is present and most people on the planet are unvaccinated, the scalping and mining will just get any mediocre launch that either AMD or NVIDIA attempt to do. Cards will be sold out in seconds.

That being said, I am screwed either way. I don't feel comfortable buying used cards. It is kind of a gamble, and the prices are not exactly "low". So I want to play it safe here and go for a supposedly new card, even if it is stupidly overpriced.

My questions for you, guys, are the following:

1.-How long do you think it is going to take for the market to go back to "normal"? My best estimation would be from one to two years. But that's just me. I would love to read your predictions.
2.-Should I just wait and be without a GPU until things get back to normal?
3.-Should I pay even more and get a 2080 super for something close to 1,200 US dollars?
I would love to read your ideas!
Thanks, guys!

Additional information:
I live in Mexico, and I don't use the GPU for work, but I do love gaming at 1080p.
I appreciate any advice in advance.

This is my setup:

Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming
Memory: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital WDC (SATA )
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Completely fried)
PSU: EVGA 850 G2 80 Plus Gold
Case: NZXT H440

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, guys. After almost six years, my GTX 980 gave up on me during the worst possible time. There are no cards, and the cards that "launch" get scalped or gotten by miners, which leaves most players with very limited options. Look at the second-hand market (which is just as overpriced), pay silly high prices for new somewhat powerful GPU's, or try to get a card that might help me play most games at medium settings 1080p.

I have set my eyes on a new 1650 super (MSI Gaming X) that I saw on eBay. The thing is that I would have to pay around 500 US dollars. For a card which original's MSRP was around 185 dollars (I think), it is more than double.

My problem is this. I know that the company or companies that supply the stuff to make...

sammael1984

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
What is the rest of your system, exact make and model of your psu?

I have updated my original post, thank you for the heads-up.

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have updated my original post, thank you for the heads-up.

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Why did you downclock it? I see no reason with the cooler you have.

For the video card this is a bad time their hard to find.

Not sure about the supply in Mexico but your about down to what you can find I would try for a 1050ti or better or a AMD 570 or better.

Reactions: Dj0gany

My problem is this. I know that the company or companies that supply the stuff to make the cards stopped working for some time, and just restarted their work recently, and as long as the pandemic is present and most people on the planet are unvaccinated, the scalping and mining will just get any mediocre launch that either AMD or NVIDIA attempt to do. Cards will be sold out in seconds.

That being said, I am screwed either way. I don't feel comfortable buying used cards. It is kind of a gamble, and the prices are not exactly "low". So I want to play it safe here and go for a supposedly new card, even if it is stupidly overpriced.

My questions for you, guys, are the following:

1.-How long do you think it is going to take for the market to go back to "normal"? My best estimation would be from one to two years. But that's just me. I would love to read your predictions.
2.-Should I just wait and be without a GPU until things get back to normal?
3.-Should I pay even more and get a 2080 super for something close to 1,200 US dollars?
I would love to read your ideas!
Thanks, guys!

Additional information:
I live in Mexico, and I don't use the GPU for work, but I do love gaming at 1080p.
I appreciate any advice in advance.

This is my setup:

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Completely fried)

Spending $1,000 or so for a card for that system with a 4th gen i7 is a huge waste. You are just in a bad time to be needing a video card.

See what is selling locally although I'm guessing your area is worse than many others for availability and pricing. Even in the US it's hard to find used cards are fair prices, people are selling lower/mid range cards like like 1050 Tis for more than they were when new.

There is no answer that is good now, you are stuck with what you can find for the price you can pay. For 1080 resolution you don't need much power, if you can find a 1650 super at a decent price that is good enough, maybe a used 1070, those should be in the low $200 range if priced actually normally. I paid $180 for my 1070 before the craziness with cards started up again.

Solution