I need an advice about a new monitor

Saberq

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Hey guys.I have a question.My old monitor just died on my after 6 years and its native resolution was 1680x1050.

Now I need to buy a new one but can't find a monitor with that resolution in my price range.I do have an option to buy 18.5 inch monitor(1366x768) or an 21.5 inch monitor(1920x1080).

I have an r9 270x GPU and would like to know if it's smarter for me to game on 1366x768 than 1920x1080 given the difference in pixels?I guess I can play in high-ultra on 768p with my gpu as of right now.

Thanks in advance :D

Solution

DasHotShot

Honorable
Depending on the games you play, you will be able to run good settings on the 270x at 1080p

If you can afford it, I absolutely recommend the highest resolution in budget (1080p?) and the biggest screen size you can afford (24 inch?)

Saberq

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
Well I play everything really.Every AAA game,RTS,RPG everything you can think of.I don't mind turning down settings here and there but I am afraid that at 1080p I won't be able to run newest games as good as in 768p obviously.

DasHotShot

Honorable

You're right. You won't be able to....obviously....

The thing is, getting anything lower than 1080p, which isn't even the standard anymore is not a good choice. You will sooner upgrade your system and will then be stuck on sub 1080 res, which even today is semi unthinkable on a desktop to be honest.

Your 270x will handle most games fine, just tone down the taxing settings like AA and particle effects, distance rendering etc. It will look good and give you a better gaming experience than looking at a shitty resolution on whatever settings.

Saberq

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

Thank you for your answer.

I will think about that.I honestly have no plans about upgrading any time soon.I just thought in a 1-2 I will just buy a new more powerful build alons side a 1080p monitor then.

Also if 1366x768 is the native resolution won't it look good on that particular monitor?

DasHotShot

Honorable

I don't know if you have seen Full HD games in your case, seeing as you are playing on standards from 10 years ago and seem to want to invest in those again today.

You simply won't find me recommending anything lower than 1080p and of a decent size, at the very very least 23 inches or more as anything below is just very out of date and doesn't give you anywhere near the pleasure.

Also price wise, it is extremely cheap to get something 1080p in that size, there is almost no economical argument to get something smaller at all.

Solution