matijamaconi

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
My specs are

AMD Radeon R7 360
4 GB DDR2
MSI MS 7366 MoBo
Intel Core2Quad Q8300 2,5 Ghz

Main game that I wanna play is Fortnite and my CPU is struggling and I wanna repalce it with a better one, wthat CPU should I get?

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Core 2 Quad Yorkfield Q9650 seems to be the fastest cpu officially supported.

Xeon-wise " e5450 x5450 or x5460 are all great options. make sure they are e0 stepping. " is what I find as a probable fit. I paid £13 for my 5450 last year, via Ali Express.

Have a good read here before spending money though; and unless you already have a semi-decent cooler, allow for that as well, as the original Intel ones tend to fall apart when you remove and refit them a couple of times.
(The heat from the chip makes the plastic lugs go brittle).

https://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

His board only supports up to a C2Q e9550.

Most videos with Core 2 Quads and your GPU show a average FPS around 30. Some are 60FPS but they also have 8GB of system RAM which might be what makes the difference. Your only bet to do 40 with a Core 2 Quad is a better GPU (probably a 380 or better or nVidia equivalent) from the looks of it.

if you have a good power supply and can sell the old gpu for some cash you may want to look at the newer ryzen with the built in gpu for a entry level gaming. another trick is to see if any local comp are tossing pc out and picking one up for free. if you have a local toy r us put in a bid for there pc.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

I lifted that cpu straight off of MSI's own compatibility list for this board. Very few makers list XEON cpus as compatible, but they do work in a wide range of boards; places like Delidded have compiled lists of what works and what doesnt.

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

You don't need a better CPU, you need a better computer. Lol.

775 is an extremely old platform and will not play any modern games at an acceptable framerate. I got an i7 2600, 18GB of RAM, and a GT 640 plus a 650W power supply for free at my local dump.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

Are you the guy reported his recycling centre PC burst into flames earlier today??

EquineHero

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 6, 2015

Nope. My PC is very much alive and well, especially my water cooled Tesla C2050 and my 1070 Custom Edition, both running well.

My Dell Dimension XPS R400 sleeper with an i7 2600 and HD 5870 is also alive and well, with its 16GB of RAM, 120GB SSD, and 450W PSU. I built that from the parts I got at the dump, but the HD 5870, two 8GB sticks, PSU, and case were all mine beforehand.

I'm going to assume you are trying to run Fortnite at 1080p. So then, the first thing I'd do is reduce Fortnite settings to low and resolution to 720p. Run the game and check the framerate. Is it much higher than it was at 1080p low settings? If so, this means you need a new GPU. If it's more or less the same as it was at 1080p, this confirms you need a faster CPU.

If you use a program like MSI Afterburner you can get an onscreen display of all sorts of things, including system ram usage. This could be helpful in determining if you need more than 4gb. If you can see a full 4gb ram being used, and you notice in the game you get framerate drops at the same time your hard drive is blinking because it's active, this is usually a sign of page file access. This means you need more ram for that game to get rid of those hitches in framerate.