I need help about molex to 6 pin on hd 6770

dur099

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I got hd 6770 and 500W power supply ms I need 6 pin but my power supply doesn't have 6 pin would it be safe to use 2x molex to 6 pin ?

Solution
It can be, but really isn't recommended. Basically tells you your power supply wasn't intended to power a GPU. On the positive side, a 6770 is fairly low on the power requirements list.

Please detail the complete system:
CPU
Motherboard
Memory type, and count
Drives
Fans
Peripherals

Most importantly: Power supply exact model

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It can be, but really isn't recommended. Basically tells you your power supply wasn't intended to power a GPU. On the positive side, a 6770 is fairly low on the power requirements list.

Please detail the complete system:
CPU
Motherboard
Memory type, and count
Drives
Fans
Peripherals

Most importantly: Power supply exact model

Solution

dur099

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
motherboard: P5G41T-M LX2
RAM: 5GB 1333MHz
CPU: core 2 quad q8400 (2.66GHz)
HDD:500GB WD Caviar blue
power supply is MS kx-500 atx p4
i got normal fan on processor and on power supply
and i don't use cd/dvd rom

Hope this can help you :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would not use that power supply for any purpose actually. Even dedicating it entirely to the video card would likely not be enough. Quite surprised it is still working as is.

Basically in modern terms that is a 120W supply. They have dedicated far too much output on the 5V and 3.3V channels. Modern computers use little 5V and almost zero 3.3 volt.

Depending on your location I would seek out, at a minimum, something from this list, you will want 380W or higher. (look at the label for 12V output, you want at minimum 250W there)

Corsair CX, CM, CSM, HX, TX, or AX models
Antec (pretty much any model)
Seasonic (pretty much any model)
XFX (Bronze or better)
Superflower (Leadex)
PC & Power Cooling (Silencer)