[SOLVED] I need help buying a SSD

Jun 8, 2019
Hello everyone!

I want to build a PC for productivity and gaming mostly. I have decided most of the components, but checking the SSD's specs, I didn't find anything about D-Ram cache, and I've read it's really important.
The SSD I am talking about is XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 2280 Gen3x4 256 GB (AGAMMIXS11P-256GT-C).

My question is, is DRAM Cache really important as everyone says? Should I spend more to get a better SSD? If so, can you tell me a good SSD that does not empty my wallet? I can't seem to find anything like that.
If it is not too important, which one would you recommend out of these four, assuming they are at pretty much the same price:
ASX6000LNP-256GT-C
AGAMMIXS5-256GT-C
AGAMMIXS11P-256GT-C
AS40G-256GT-C

Solution
DRAM Cache is important.
That XPG drive does have DRAM. The amazon description says this: "Equipped with 3D NAND Flash along with SLC Caching, a DRAM Cache Buffer..."

A Crucial MX500 or Kingston A400 are pretty good sata drives and occupy different price points. The MX500 is much better but cost more.
Jun 8, 2019
Corsair MX500 is one of the best low cost SATA SSDs
Sorry, do you mean Crucial?
And it doesn't have to be SATA necessarily. My concern is that the SSDs I was considering didn't have DRAM Cache (or at least their specs don't say anything about it), and neither does that one.
Thanks anyway! I will consider it if I can get it here.

DRAM Cache is important.
That XPG drive does have DRAM. The amazon description says this: "Equipped with 3D NAND Flash along with SLC Caching, a DRAM Cache Buffer..."

A Crucial MX500 or Kingston A400 are pretty good sata drives and occupy different price points. The MX500 is much better but cost more.

Solution
Jun 8, 2019
DRAM Cache is important.

So, is that XPG okay? Will it be okay as a boot drive and maybe for a few apps? (Along with an HDD for cheap storage space)
And what is the difference between SATA and NVMe? Which one is better?

Sata SSDs have existed for a while and come in 2.5in (laptop HDD size) and m.2 versions, which both perform the same. The 2.5in SSDs are pretty fast and compatable with all desktops and laptops made in the last 10 years as they use the same SATA interface as the hard drives.

NVME SSDs are relatively new and come only in M.2 varieties. NVME SSDs operate over PCIE, same as a modern graphics card, and are generally a good bit faster than SATA SSDs, although you normally won't notice this other than some specific workloads. NVME ssds only work in modern systems made within the last 3 years or so, but only some modern systems support NVME.

Make sure whatever system this SSD is going into supports NVME M.2 SSDs. Not all m.2 machines do. All sata machines support SATA ssds.

DRAM Cache is a necessity in my mind.
That XPG is very fast and a great option, however, unless you are a 4k video editor, you won't notice the difference between that and a slower sata SSD. If you can get the XPG GAMMIS Pro for a good price, go for it.

Jun 8, 2019
Sata SSDs have existed for a while and come in 2.5in (laptop HDD size) and m.2 versions, which both perform the same. The 2.5in SSDs are pretty fast and compatable with all desktops and laptops made in the last 10 years as they use the same SATA interface as the hard drives.

NVME SSDs are relatively new and come only in M.2 varieties. NVME SSDs operate over PCIE, same as a modern graphics card, and are generally a good bit faster than SATA SSDs, although you normally won't notice this other than some specific workloads. NVME ssds only work in modern systems made within the last 3 years or so, but only some modern systems support NVME.

Make sure whatever system this SSD is going into supports NVME M.2 SSDs. Not all m.2 machines do. All sata machines support SATA ssds.

DRAM Cache is a necessity in my mind.
That XPG is very fast and a great option, however, unless you are a 4k video editor, you won't notice the difference between that and a slower sata SSD. If you can get the XPG GAMMIS Pro for a good price, go for it.
The price for 256 GB would be around $60 I guess. I can't find a SATA that is much cheaper than that here. If the motherboard I buy supports NVME, I'll go for it I think.