Question I need help cooling my i7 9700k 90 degrees F

Jul 21, 2019
I just bought the Asus z390 Rog Strix motherboard with a new i7 9700k as my cpu. I dont plan on over clocking and my temps are around 80 to 90 degrees fahrenheit on idle. When I run a browser or discord, it jumps to 90 degrees. I am using the NH D15S cooler as I was told it was one of the best. I have set all my fans to max and it still stays around 80 degrees fahrenheit on idle. I hope someone can give me some guidance.

View: https://imgur.com/3qTfYFd

Build:
Asus z390 Rog Strix
i7 9700k
NH D15S cooler
16 gbs of ram
500 gb ssd
2 tb hard drive
650m power supply

Last edited:
90F is only about 32c, which is a decent idle temp. As recommended definitely switch to Celsius, as when it comes to pc components, no one speaks Fahrenheit.

There is also almost zero chance under a gaming load a 7700k was at 75f, was the last build reading in Celsius? And somehow switched on this build?

75f is only 24ish Celsius, and that's barely over ambient. Those are near unobtainable numbers without some serious exotic cooling. My guess is on the 7700k you may have been closer to 75c which would be 167f. Still an acceptable load temp. Depending on the cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
80°F = 26.6°C. There's no way you were gaming playing Overwatch with an accurate 75°F cpu temp. Not unless you live in Antarctica and had the windows open during winter.

Idle temps for an intel cpu run @ 6-12 °C higher than your room ambient temps. Even at a cool 72°F (22°C), cpu temp will run @ 28°C - 34°C. With any cpu cooler. Gaming loads go up from there.

I can pretty much guess you are getting °C and °F mixed up, 75°C under a gaming load isn't all that unusual. 75°F (23.8°C) is pretty much impossible.

Jul 21, 2019
90F is only about 32c, which is a decent idle temp. As recommended definitely switch to Celsius, as when it comes to pc components, no one speaks Fahrenheit.

There is also almost zero chance under a gaming load a 7700k was at 75f, was the last build reading in Celsius? And somehow switched on this build?

It was at 75 degrees Fahrenheit for sure. It was overwatch though with low settings. Overwatch had settings where you could see the degrees in game on the left hand side.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Op, for your worries, they are unfounded. The Noctua NH-D15/S is arguably the most capable cpu cooler commercially available. It's rated at 250w+ and you'd be hard pressed even with OC to get that cpu close to 200w. You really couldn't have made a better choice in coolers as far as performance and ability goes. I'm not going to mention looks.

It was absolutely in celcius, as stated in karadjgne post, unless you live in antartica...

Or were using some super exotic cooling. 75f is barely above ambient, and just not an obtainable temp reading.

Either it was reporting in Celsius or was reporting the incorrect temp.

Switch to a Celsius reading, and don't be worried by your current temps, you are well within healthy specs.

Reactions: humanboy1
Jul 21, 2019
80°F = 26.6°C. There's no way you were gaming playing Overwatch with an accurate 75°F cpu temp. Not unless you live in Antarctica and had the windows open during winter.

Idle temps for an intel cpu run @ 6-12 °C higher than your room ambient temps. Even at a cool 72°F (22°C), cpu temp will run @ 28°C - 34°C. With any cpu cooler. Gaming loads go up from there.

I can pretty much guess you are getting °C and °F mixed up, 75°C under a gaming load isn't all that unusual. 75°F (23.8°C) is pretty much impossible.

Maybe I was mistaking something then.. If everyone is telling me these are reasonable then I should accept that. Should I buy more fans to cool it down? What would you guys suggest?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your cpu is capable of operating upto @ 100°C.
It starts to throttle back somewhere above @ 80°C.
Safe bets put maximum cpu temp at @ 70°C consistent usage.
That cooler is well capable of maintaining gaming temps below 55°C.

Depending on the airflow through the case. That means 1-2 fans intake in the front, 1-2 fans exhaust out the back/top.

Even coretemp reports your TjMax as 100°C, that's the cpu thermal limit. Your game (for honor) is running mid 40's. You have so much temp overhead possible, it's unreal. There's jealous ppl out there reading this, your temps are that good.

Lowest temp is 43 on 27% usage, highest is 46 on 66% usage, that's a golden cpu. Temps between cores can be as much as 10°C (±5°) so a 3°C difference with a 40% load is awesome.

You have exactly nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019
Your cpu is capable of operating upto @ 100°C.
It starts to throttle back somewhere above @ 80°C.
Safe bets put maximum cpu temp at @ 70°C consistent usage.
That cooler is well capable of maintaining gaming temps below 55°C.

Depending on the airflow through the case. That means 1-2 fans intake in the front, 1-2 fans exhaust out the back/top.

I didnt notice that it could go up to 100 C.. Well then comparing the degrees from 40 C to 100 C is a big difference. This makes me feel alot better actually. I'm just misinformed when it comes to cpu's and coolers. A noob really. I think I'll still get a second fan just because i want to keep my case cool just in case. Alittle paranoid.

While I won't tell you you shouldn't get another fan, I kinda will at the same time. With the temps you have now and the very little gains you'll see(maybe 2-3c) it's a waste of money, imo. The cpu will run exactly the same wether at 40c or 60c. As long as it's under the point of throttle, it cares very little about temp. Of course adding more air flow is not going to hurt, in this particular case it also seems as though it probably won't help. Save that cash for another game or something.

Reactions: humanboy1
Jul 21, 2019
While I won't tell you you shouldn't get another fan, I kinda will at the same time. With the temps you have now and the very little gains you'll see(maybe 2-3c) it's a waste of money, imo. The cpu will run exactly the same wether at 40c or 60c. As long as it's under the point of throttle, it cares very little about temp. Of course adding more air flow is not going to hurt, in this particular case it also seems as though it probably won't help. Save that cash for another game or something.

Interesting thank you for that information. I would love to still get one for air flow though. You are right. Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate everything! Wish you all the best.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss