Question I need help dealing with this kernel data inpage error that won't let me access safemode with networking. Any ideas?

Jun 23, 2019
I'm trying to help a friend fix their pc. The pc is a BestBuy build from a while ago (Cyberpower) with 8Gb ram and 1Tb hard drive. It had shutdown improperly before and was brought to the recovery screen upon restart.
Now here's the kicker, said friend did a factory reset on their pc that caused this error to show up afterwards. That's when they called me.
I've been toying with this pc for the past 7 hours trying everything I know and everything I can find online to troubleshoot this. I have tested every piece of hardware possible. I ran a working hard drive to test the motherboard and cpu as well as the ram. Everything works as well as running memory repair to double check things.
The original drive is at fault but when I run it it crashes immediately to a blue error screen with the error saying Stop Code: kernel data inpage error.

Thats it, that's all it gives me. From there I have tried to boot to safemode but it wont do it. I've switched it with the other drive and have been able to boot to safemode so no idea why it won't. I have run the other drive while the the drive in question is a secondary to see whats on it. Nothing, just windows 10 OS folders with no logs to help me. I have tried running it through chkdsk c: /f /r in command using the good drive and restarted to force a repair. It booted to bad drive with chkdsk and got to 53% before blue screening again with the same error.
At this point I'm stumped as to what to do. I can't tell if the drive itself has crapped out or I need to just reinstall windows 10 for them.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

[spacing added by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 14196

Format and clean install

Maybe when posting you can use paragraphs. Word walls like yours make it difficult to read and pull out information

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
More likely to get an answer too, Many people here open threads with 16 lines and no spacing and run away. So I added a few line breaks.

what brand is the hdd? might want to run a hard drive test on it, apart from chkdsk. Many makers have their own testing tools.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...gger/bug-check-0x7a--kernel-data-inpage-error

If drive looks okay and you can copy anything off drive you want to keep, just reinstall win 10. Resets often break windows instead of fixing them.