I need help deciding on a GPU (1070/1080)

SouthTV

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Hello!
I've been doing a lot of research recently but everywhere I go there are so, so many opinions and I cannot decide based on those facts. So I decided to talk to someone directly on this forum.

Long story short, my GPU died recently and I gotta upgrade from my good old 780.
My budget is maximum around 700-750$.

Based on my research I thought about ASUS 1070 Ti STRIX due to its fantastic cooling system and full load temperatures. But then I found Gigabyte 1080 G1 for extra 50$.

I will post down below the local prices and models of all my choices and every opinion is appreciated.

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti WINDFORCE 8GB GDDR5 256bit - 600$
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB GDDR5 256bit - 640$
GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1070Ti 8GB GDDR5X 256bit - 675$
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 256bit (GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G) - 700$
ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 256bit (ROG-STRIX) - 720$

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G GDDR5X 256bit - 735$
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5X 256bit - 740$

These would be over my budget:
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X 256bit - 790$
ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X 256bit (ROG STRIX) - 810$

Also, I would like to add that I currently have:
i5 4690 (non-K)
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
Super Flower Golden Green SF-600P14XE 600W 80+ Gold.
and the case is a Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Red LED.

Thanks a lot!

Solution

Go with the 3-fan Gigabyte Gaming for 640$. Best value of the bunch for overclocking potential. The ASUS ROG-STRIX 3-fan variant for 80$ more is not worth it. Noise with an aggressive fan cooling profile in Afterburner will be a little louder than the others, but that's up to you on how much that means to you in increased cost of the others that are more quiet:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-8g,5338-6.html

Enjoy!
I'm not sure where you are (Australia maybe?), but here in the US there are big deals going on with the GTX 1070 Ti. It is a way better dollar value for the performance than the 1080.

All of the 1070 Ti's you list will be within a few FPS of each other out of the box and can overclock, so pick the one that is the least expensive. They run within 95% of the performance of the much more expensive 1080 variants for a LOT less money.

Go with the 3-fan Gigabyte Gaming for 640$. Best value of the bunch for overclocking potential. The ASUS ROG-STRIX 3-fan variant for 80$ more is not worth it. Noise with an aggressive fan cooling profile in Afterburner will be a little louder than the others, but that's up to you on how much that means to you in increased cost of the others that are more quiet:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-gtx-1070-ti-gaming-8g,5338-6.html

Enjoy!

Solution

Nope, not at all.

The reviews are BS and slanted towards the 1070Ti when it came out. (Same BS they did when they reviewed the Vega cards)

The reviews all used the GTX 1080 reference card and were comparing a partner GTX 1070Ti to that, hardly even remotely realistic.

The Partner GTX 1080's are a lot faster than the reference cards, especially the higher end ones with the GDDR5X memory at 11GBS.

One has to OC the GTX 1070Ti to the moon to even get close to a fast GTX 1080..... But then one can OC the GTX 1080 also.

Nope, you are wrong. I've done my homework on comparing overclocked AIB board lower tier GPUs to reference upper tier GPUs. Also keep in mind that Nvidia locked down the factory clocking on the 1070 Ti out of the gate leaving it up to the user to do it. Compare Guru3D's Witcher 3 test between an ASUS ROG Strix 1080 and a GALAX 1070 Ti HOF, here's the performance variance number at 1440p (and yes, they used the same testbed build):

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_1080_strix_oc_11_gbps_review,24.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/galax_geforce_gtx_1070_ti_hof_review,26.html

^^ 80FPS with the HOF 1070 Ti vs. 86FPS for the STRIX 1080. What's that HOF's number work out to a percentage of the STRIX? My math says 93%. So let's compare the price variance: Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 1080 costs 100$ more than the 640$ Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 Ti. That's 17% more in price for 5-7% more performancet. Does that sound like a good deal to you? Would you be able to tell 80FPS vs. 86FPS while gaming on a G-sync monitor?

Nope.

I had a good time laughing at all the cooked results.....

And they ALL were cooked..... All of them...… ;)

Just have to know what to really look for. ;)

Okay, that's cool. You are a 1080 owner and have sour grapes overspending for it. You aren't the only one I've come across since the 1070 Ti was released out there. All the tech review websites are wrong. We get it. ;)

Another example of a Witcher 3 comparison:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_STRIX/20.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1070_Ti_STRIX/26.html

Hardly, I got mine before the prices went up.... Actually paid the same for my FTW2 GTX 1080 (NEW) as the GTX 1070Ti is going for now. ;)

And mine has GDDR5X memory at 11GBS out of the box.

And yes it's VERY hard to find non biased reviews..... VERY HARD.

Got my GTX 1080 FTW2 in July 2017...….

^^You bought before the mining craze then. Dude, I'm not stupid. Just stop spreading FUD. It confuses people who are looking into buying the best bang for their buck. And by the way: what would ALL of these tech websites have to gain from doctoring benchmarks of the GTX 1070 Ti vs. 1080? What are you smoking? By the way, he's looking at HIS prices NOW, not YOURS THEN.

They get paid.... ;)

I used to do reviews myself in another field... And believe me we got PAID.

You wouldn't believe all the free stuff and money we got.

All of it is to be taken with a grain of salt really.

Yeah, OK.

I do my own testing as do others and ever wonder why the REAL results are HIGHER than the ones posted... Using the same settings etc.

And MOST of the time a lot higher.

But then I am not downclocking or using different settings to make one look better over the others.

MOST of the GTX 1080 results are MUCH lower than they should be, thousands of points lower normally.

Have to look at the 3DMark GPU scores etc since they are fixed settings running default.

If those are missing then something is usually up.

You know real numbers to compare to, if those aren't close then something is wrong.

Too many things they can do easily with the games and Windows etc to make the results what they want (need) them to be.

Yes, your CPU is holding back your new 1080 Ti. I have the same issue with my i5 4690K and my 1080 Ti even when the 4690K is overclocked to 4.7GHz. This is one of several reasons I'm looking to upgrade my nearly four year old Haswell build after waiting out three generations of new Intel chipsets (Z170-Skylake, Z270-Kaby Lake, Z370-Coffee Lake).

With that said, I don't think there is any current chip out there that will be able to fully utilize the power of a GTX 1080 Ti and it may be several years before that ever happens. But by then there will be newer and faster GPUs. It's like a dog chasing its tail and never catching it.