I need help in overclocking my system

eddieb101

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
Firstly here is my computer current specs...

Processor: i5 2500k 3.3GHz (Sandy Bridge)
CPU Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo
Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD3
Memory: 4GB Mushkin Sliverline DDR3 1333MHz CL9 1.5v
HDD: Samsung spinpoint F3 - 1TB
Graphics: MSI GTX460 cyclone 1GB
PSU: 600w Corsair 80% bronze

Looking for help to get a small increase in CPU performance, can i simply increase the multiplier in the bios and can anyone recommend settings for this particular cpu/mobo combination? Also if i increase the memory from 4 to 8GB will that have any effect on the overclock?

Solution
Yes, you can simply increase the CPU multiplier to overclock, but you should also learn how to adjust and test for a stable VCORE, which will help keep the temperature as low as possible.

These are the settings I use for my 2500k and MSI P67A-GD53.

4.0Ghz - 1.20V
4.2Ghz - 1.22V
4.4Ghz - 1.245V

Bear in mind that these figures should be for guidance only; overclocking varies from processor to processor and you need to understand the process for yourself. Doing so will help you diagnose problems and appreciate how excessive heat impacts the processor. This is the guide I used when I started out; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking.

Increasing the RAM to 8GB won't affect an overclock at all.
Yes, you can simply increase the CPU multiplier to overclock, but you should also learn how to adjust and test for a stable VCORE, which will help keep the temperature as low as possible.

These are the settings I use for my 2500k and MSI P67A-GD53.

4.0Ghz - 1.20V
4.2Ghz - 1.22V
4.4Ghz - 1.245V

Bear in mind that these figures should be for guidance only; overclocking varies from processor to processor and you need to understand the process for yourself. Doing so will help you diagnose problems and appreciate how excessive heat impacts the processor. This is the guide I used when I started out; http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/272214-29-wolfram-beginner-guide-overclocking.

Increasing the RAM to 8GB won't affect an overclock at all.

Solution