[SOLVED] I need help knowing what to do.

Mar 17, 2020
So.. My computer originally had a 60Hz monitor, and im buying a 144Hz one. But when I had the 60Hz one, i got 40-50 (sometimes 60, but rare) fps when i play fortnite. It was twitchy and stuff. Would getting a 144Hz monitor make my gameplay smoother? Would I get more fps? My reaction time would be quicker because of the monitor, but i dont really know please help me out on this.

Solution
OKAY PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS GOOD IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD AND ITS FOR A GREAT PRICE
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop Core i5-9400F, GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD+1TB HDD, Hexa-Core up to 4.10 GHz, RJ-45 LAN, USB-C, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, DVD-RW, Win 10

here is link https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-...keywords=gaming+desktop&qid=1584659873&sr=8-6

it has the specs to do what you want and I have more faith in an HP than a cyberpower or Ibuypower computer.
What I can tell the system will have one spare SATA port which means the motherboard is the typical stripped down version of a better board.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums.
in the order asked.
no
no
not without further upgrades

if your computer can only draw 40-50 FPS as it is now changing the monitor will not help but add to the demand. 144Hz is 144FPS and if you cannot deliver 144HZ will not help you, you may need to upgrade the CPU and/or the GPU to feed the new monitor. as it stands you cannot feed the 60Hz screen you had

Reactions: King_V
Mar 17, 2020
Welcome to the forums.
in the order asked.
no
no
not without further upgrades

if your computer can only draw 40-50 FPS as it is now changing the monitor will not help but add to the demand. 144Hz is 144FPS and if you cannot deliver 144HZ will not help you, you may need to upgrade the CPU and/or the GPU to feed the new monitor. as it stands you cannot feed the 60Hz screen you had

Well it got to 60, and it felt fine at 60, it just wouldn't really stay. I also went to my local bestbuy and like all of the employees said buying it would max out my pc and i would get like 80 fps. (Possibly). Because of its reaction time, wouldnt it still make it smoother? its literally x2 better than the 60hz.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it is capable of displaying twice as much, but it cannot because the other parts are only capable of 40-50.
think of it like a showerhead. you have this huge showerhead like they use for elephants at the zoo, but the issue is the water line is as thin as a straw. to even feel the water you would need a hose much thicker.
the showerhead is the monitor and the straw is the CPU and GPU as it stands now. its just a question of volume/FPS.
if the situation were reversed and you were rendering 170 FPS then the monitor would work just as you want it to, capable of displaying all the extra information being generated.

Mar 17, 2020
Thats what I dont know.. Im looking to play fortnite, budget around 600-700. I just got it from my parents lol. I know nothing about the specs.
I could try to find out

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
there is a program that can help its called CPUid it can be downloaded from cpuid.com.
its small and when you run it you can click across the tabs for information on the parts.
the power supply can be accessed by removing the side panel and looking at the label on the side. if you need a power hungry GPU the PSU may need an upgrade to feed it.

Mar 17, 2020
there is a program that can help its called CPUid it can be downloaded from cpuid.com.
its small and when you run it you can click across the tabs for information on the parts.
the power supply can be accessed by removing the side panel and looking at the label on the side. if you need a power hungry GPU the PSU may need an upgrade to feed it.

So cpuid will go through everything and tell me what i have ? If so, Ill just do that and tell you what I have. From there would you be able to help me figure out what to upgrade? and what the cost would be to get my PC in general to atleast get 80+fps in fortnite

Mar 17, 2020
For the price, that PC looks like a ripoff, it only has 8 gigs of ram and not even in dual channel, amongst other things... what’s your budget? You said $600-$700 but then asked about a $879 PC

Well apparently 879 would work too. How much fps on fortnite would I get with the PC though?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
sorry been busy. I do not suggest Ibuypower PC or Cyberpower PC at all. most will need upgrades from the factory to ensure longevity. poor PSU's for a primary example.
is building or upgrading the system you have now be an option? you never listed your specs. your current system may need one or two parts to bring it up to spec.
what are your specs now?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020
Well.. I have a CyberPower PC right now. And Im not at the house with the computer that im replacing. Im doing this off a smaller computer, as im not at the house containing my gaming computer. Im asking other people, and they said I might as well just upgrade the PC itself.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, slow down - not everyone is online here all the time.

But, we need to know the full details of what you have currently in order to proceed.

In addition to the full PC specs you have now, the brand and exact model number of your current monitor would also be helpful.

Mar 17, 2020
Here's my monitor
MSI Optix MAG24C 24 inch 1ms 144hz Full HD Curved Gaming Monitor with Adaptive AMD FreeSync and Wide LED Anti-Glare Screen 1920 x 1080p,