I need help my gpu fans run 15% to 50% which doesnt meet my fan curve at all !!!

VerTiG

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017
My gpu fans runs at 15% to 50% at 26c-30c WTF? (I have custom fan curve on msi afterburner and these numbers dont meet my fan curve at all..

yesterday my temps (while browsing youtube and steam open) were about 30-35c now they are 28c to 30c which got me thinking are the sensors <<watch the language please>>. ?

Then about every 5 minutes fans go from 700rpm to 0 repeatedly for about 2mins or so.

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1050ti 4gb g1 gaming
Software: MSI Afterburner
FAN Curve: 15% at 38c to 30% at 42c to 90% at 78c
Ambient temp : 24-25c
Drivers updated : about few weeks ago.

Solution
It might be trying to run it lower, but because it can't go lower unless it shuts off, it keeps running and the lowest it can go is 30%. My card comes with this fanstop thing built in where it stops the fan from spinning unnecessarily if the card isn't very hot. Maybe yours doesn't have the same thing. I guess this is something to ask MSI. Basically if there's a way to shut off fans completely if the card isn't very hot.

Sedivy

Estimable
Keep in mind that speeds will depend on lowest rpm cutoffs your fan can support. Typically these can be anywhere from 300 rpm (rare) to 700 or 800 rpm (more common). This means that when you set your fan curve, below a certain point the rpm will just drop down to 0. Then suddenly turn on to 700 (once voltage reaches acceptable levels for the fan to start turning). That's what's happening to you.
The way I deal with this is I create two profiles. One is there by default, and doesn't turn on fans until temp 45C or so. This I leave for anything non-cpu intensive so no graphical editing no gaming etc. Just browsing, watching, that sort of thing. GPU fans never turn on and only case fans cool the card which seems to be quite sufficient.
Then you have a curve that you're talking about which you switch to for gaming. Low temps won't be an issue in that case as you'll have a fair load on the gpu, but it'll still be pretty low even when you're gaming.
Why do the temps change so suddenly? On idle, there's very little going on. Suddenly hitting that temp change from where fans start up will drop your temps dramatically in a minute. And then fans will shut off and your temp will rise again. So that's what you're seeing.

VerTiG

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017
Yeah but ambient today is exact same as yesterday and now same ambient lower temps seems weird to me... and this fan problem did not occur until today ive had the same fan curve for over 2 weeks

Sedivy

Estimable
Ok, get something like HWMonitor so that you can view the temps at all times. Scroll down to the gpu temps, and then do something, anything to load the gpu (open a youtube video for example). RPMs will be listed right there. You'll see how they're sitting on 0, you'll watch how the temps rise and the exact moment your fan kicks in and how often, and how quickly the temp changes.
Judging from your fan, 15% settings should literally do nothing. Realize that if top rpm is 1500 and your minimum is like 700, then 30% also does nothing. Your fans only kick in at high 40+% use. Your curve has to kind of be planned around this.

VerTiG

Commendable
Aug 2, 2017

Ok did this with msi after burner and hwmonitor open and made a new fan curve 30% at 42c to 100% at 80c gpu temp min 27c max 31c during the test fan ran constantly at 30% (900-950rpm) with the new fan curve

Sedivy

Estimable
It might be trying to run it lower, but because it can't go lower unless it shuts off, it keeps running and the lowest it can go is 30%. My card comes with this fanstop thing built in where it stops the fan from spinning unnecessarily if the card isn't very hot. Maybe yours doesn't have the same thing. I guess this is something to ask MSI. Basically if there's a way to shut off fans completely if the card isn't very hot.

Solution