Question I need help on replacing my cpu

Jezreel101

Prominent
Dec 21, 2019
I have a r3 1200 that is oc and a msi b350m gaming pro mother board that has the latest drivers, but I just bought the r5 2600x when replacing the old cpu to my new cpu will my mother board still have the overclock settings from my r3 1200 or will it find out that I put in a new cpu and it will reset all of the settings by it self, or do I have to manually reset the settings?

You've made sure the bios is updated for the 2600? With a new cpu install you could reset cmos, that will wipe any previous settings. And revert to default. Or you could just revert to default yourself before installing the new cpu.

The board will see the new cpu and should have all factory values though.

Jezreel101

Prominent
Dec 21, 2019
You've made sure the bios is updated for the 2600? With a new cpu install you could reset cmos, that will wipe any previous settings. And revert to default. Or you could just revert to default yourself before installing the new cpu.

The board will see the new cpu and should have all factory values though.
I think so because the release date for the latest drivers was in 12-04-2019 and I have have it on my bios

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Should be no sweat then. When the BIOS finds a new CPU it will spend some time (possibly a minute or more, don't get alarmed) "negotiating" speed and voltage settings for it. Then it will boot into the BIOS settings for you.

Before you install the 2600x, I would reset the bios back to default settings, then update to the version needed for the new CPU, then install the new CPU.

As for overclocking, reset all settings back to stock, then if desired, overclock the 2600x manually if desired.

Hi, the first thing you should do is make sure the BIOS version installed on your msi motherboard does support the R5 2600X, if it doesn't your PC wont even boot up. So look at that first, and if its need it download the right bios from msi website and upgrade it first. (I would restore/reset BIOS to default/optimized setting before installing a new version).

And If I were to replace/upgrade a cpu, I would first go into the BIOS, reset to default/optimized setting, save and exit, and then upgrade the CPU.