I need help setting up my network?

I have my moden connected to my linksys wrt54gs router which is connected to
my xp-home computer via the cat cable on port 4. I also have a windows 2000
pro laptop using a linksys wpc54g wireless card. and a 3rd computer using a
netgear card running xp home. I have internet connection on all 3 computers.
I want to set up all the computer to file and printer sharing? or create a
network?
Is this is posible i've read online but i cant really find much answers?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Since all your computers are connected to same Switch on the Router you have
already a Network. If you want to connect between the computers you need to
enable the Network Sharing.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"jc179st" <jc179st@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have my moden connected to my linksys wrt54gs router which is connected
> my xp-home computer via the cat cable on port 4. I also have a windows
2000
> pro laptop using a linksys wpc54g wireless card. and a 3rd computer using
> netgear card running xp home. I have internet connection on all 3
computers.
> I want to set up all the computer to file and printer sharing? or create a
> network?
> Is this is posible i've read online but i cant really find much answers?

bar

The heart of your network will be a wireless access point and the Internet
Access or preferably one device that does both called a router, acting as
Wireless Access Point and cable or DSL modem and Network Switch. The
two-in-one units, available from Linksys, D-Link, Netgear and others, start
at about $100; with a few Ethernet ports and USB port too, so you can connect
to PCs using a standard Ethernet cable or USB cable.

You have a router and some wireless devices, so it may be cheaper to get a
wireless access point. It has some drawbacks compared with a Wireless Router
and DSL or Cable modem inbuilt [you do not identify you internet access
method].

To establish a wireless connection between a desktop PC and the wired or
wireless router, you need a USB or Ethernet Cable, as you have already I
presume.

To connect a notebook PC, you'll need a wireless PC card. If new notebooks
have Wi-Fi capabilities built in. Notebooks with Intel's new Centrino chip,
for example, are Wi-Fi-enabled.

Note that 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b — meaning a laptop
with a "g" card will talk to a "b" router, albeit at the slower speed — but
802.11a is not. If your office installs an 802.11a network, get a dual-band
wireless PC card for your laptop so that it can connect both at home and at
work.

Make sure that the software that comes with your gear will walk you through
the installation. The steps will vary slightly, depending on each computer's
operating system. The older the OS, the trickier it can be; Windows XP is
designed to detect and configure a PC card to talk to an existing network.

Before you start, gather the following information:
• your broadband connection's IP address, e.g., 123.43.2.1
• subnet mask, e.g., 255.255.122.0
• default gateway e.g., 192.168.0.2
• DNS IP addresses e.g., 123.123.123.1

You can get these things from your Internet provider; your customer-service
rep will know what you're talking about (or you can find this using the
Properties tab, under Network Connections). Each is just a series of numbers
(e.g., 123.43.2.1) that you'll be prompted to plug in during setup. (If your
provider supports a protocol called DHCP, your router should retrieve these
settings automatically when you plug it in.)

You may also be asked to choose an SSID (service set identifier) I recommend
that you do not accept the default setting as anyone nearby with a wireless
device can also use your internet access. Set your SSID to a meaningful name
use your Business Name. For work-group name use ‘Wireless’ and a wireless
channel select from 1 – 11, I recommend you use a higher channel as default
settings usually select the lower end. Keep these consistent for all of your
machines.

Security
For additional security you can and should use Wired Equivalent Privacy
(WEP) algorithm: and set this at 64bit: you can then choose a combination of
10 hexadecimal characters [0-9 + A-F], again for this may I recommend you
select your mobile phone number as it is 10 characters long and not known to
all your neighbours.

Additionally you can set the Access Point to only allow access to specific
units, where you would enter their MAC address, again a series of Hex
numbers, usually found on the Wireless Card plugged into the Laptops or other
desktop PCs.