Question I need help solving repeated blue screens of death while gaming

user55009

Reputable
Jun 27, 2017
Hello everyone! I have tried so many things to fix this issue, but nothing has seemed to solve it. I've exhausted the things I know to try, so now I need help from those who are more knowledgeable than myself.

The main issue is that I have been receiving BSODs, but only while gaming. This issue started out as stuttering while watching YouTube videos, browsing the web, general PC use, etc., and I thought perhaps it was a Windows update that caused the issues. After another set of updates, the stuttering went away, and things seemed normal. Unfortunately, since then (and several Windows updates later), I have been experiencing BSODs while playing games. They do not happen at any other time, and they do not happen at specific intervals - they just occur randomly. Sometimes I can get several games in before it happens, other times I may only be in-game for 5 minutes before it occurs. It does it with every game I play, so it isn't specific to one game only. The blue screen itself says WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and when analyzing memory dumps with WhoCrashed, I get the following 2 culprits:
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: pshed.dll (PSHED!PshedBugCheckSystem+0x10)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFBC0C7C975028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\pshed.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062421-5906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F6B90)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFBC0C7C975028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

The solutions I have tried thus far are as follows:
  1. Updating Windows (several updates have come and gone at this point, with no resolution)
  2. Updating motherboard drivers through manufacturer supplied software (MSI Live Update 6)
  3. Updating GPU drivers
  4. Running DISM and sfc /scannow in CMD
  5. Checking to see if SSD with Windows installation or HDD with game installations are failing (they report as being "good" in Crystal Disk Info)
  6. Running Windows memory diagnostics (no issues reported)
  7. Manually updating the drivers for everything listed in device manager by right-clicking and selecting to update by allowing Windows to find the best driver
  8. A clean install of Windows and all files/programs/games/etc. (did not work, then the above steps were repeated to no avail)

My outdated system configuration is:
Intel core i7 4790k (I do not overclock with it)
MSI Z97-G45 gaming motherboard
2 sticks of 8GB of RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz)
Asus GTX 1060 6GB GPU

I'm at a loss at this point, I don't know what to do. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

TRENDING THREADS