[SOLVED] I need help to lock a folder on a USB drive secured by Bitlocker To Go

4x Fan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014
I have only one computer in my home (a Windows 10 Pro desktop). I have installed Bitlocker To Go on a particular USB drive. I now wish to lock a specific folder on that drive, so that even when it is connected to my desktop the specific folder will remain locked. This is critical.

For context, my wife went to be with God last summer after a lengthy illness. Some terrible mistakes were made at the hospital, and as a result I have initiated litigation. I have pictures related to the litigation stored in that folder that will be extremely upsetting to my children if they were to access them, and my children are of the age where curiosity rules.

I will deeply appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Solution
well bitlocker is fine nice and dandy, but kids are smart these days

what you could do is create virtual drive in disk management (VHD file), copy content which you want to protect to that virtual drive, and then you can encrypt full (virtual) drive, once done, simply eject virtual drive...if somebody want to mount it to see whats inside, password is needed

what you could do is create virtual drive in disk management (VHD file), copy content which you want to protect to that virtual drive, and then you can encrypt full (virtual) drive, once done, simply eject virtual drive...if somebody want to mount it to see whats inside, password is needed

Solution

4x Fan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2014

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about this subject, but I think I understand what you're suggesting. So, you recommend that I create a virtual USB drive and then encrypt it using Bitlocker To Go? Do you know of any good instructional videos that will walk me through the creation of the VHD file?

(I think I may have a misunderstanding as to how Bitlocker To Go works. Doesn't the protected USB drive recognize the computer from which it was created and therefor doesn't need a password on that specific computer?)

TRENDING THREADS