Question I need help understanding motherboard compatibility

Aug 10, 2022
Hello,

I built a PC couple years ago and need help clearing some questions.

I'm running a single 16GB Ram 3000mhz on my motherboard (specs below) at 3000 mhz oc (using xmp), the motherboard website states that it only supports max 2933 non oc or 3600/3466/3200 oc.

My first question: is it ok to run it at 3000mhz even though it is not stated as supported on the website?

My second question: my ram model is not on the list of supported memory on the motherboard website, is that a problem?

My third question: on the motherboard website it is stated it only supports only M.2 SATA SSDs when using an AMD Athlon™-series/ 7th Gen. A-series or Athlon™ X4 APU, I run a m2 SSD with a Ryzen CPU, is it a problem?

My PC randomly freezes for about one second sometimes, about once or twice a day. It also freezes completely needing a reboot a few times a month. Also since upgrading to windows 11 not using vsync on games causes games to run as if the game is running at 30fps even though the fps is 100+, it is NOT screen tear, on Windows 10 I ran Horizon 4 on 100fps + super smooth with vsync off, on Windows 11 Horizon 5 with Vsync off looks super choppy.

I'm trying to better understand these problems so I'm very thankful to anyone with the time and knowledge to help, English is not my first language therefore I'm sorry if my writing is not very pleasant.

My setup:

AMD 3600X

Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0

Single 16 GB Ram Ballistix BLS16G4D30AESE

SSD M2 Crucial CT500P1SSD8

RTX 2070 Super

PSU Corsair CX 550

Windows 11

All drivers and bios updated

My PC randomly freezes for about one second sometimes, about once or twice a day. It also freezes completely needing a reboot a few times a month.
to test your RAM run MEMTEST86 through a few runs.
if your RAM is malfunctioning or your motherboard is having some issue with it it should return some errors.
I run a m2 SSD with a Ryzen CPU, is it a problem?
try running CrystalDiskInfo and see what type of report it returns in regards to this disk.
since upgrading to windows 11 not using vsync on games causes games to run as if the game is running at 30fps even though the fps is 100+, it is NOT screen tear, on Windows 10 I ran Horizon 4 on 100fps + super smooth with vsync off, on Windows 11 Horizon 5 with Vsync off looks super choppy.
go back to Windows 10.
i've found it to be a much better OS anyway.
later on if you still feel the need to be on 11 you can test again to see if they've improved on your situation with updates.

Reactions: kindminded
  1. The Ryzen 3600X will do 3200MHz before it's technically considered "overclocking" . There's other caveats, but generally, as long as the system is stable, it's nothing to worry about. Since the B450 chipset was launched before Ryzen 3000, the 2933MHz advertised RAM came from the max supported speed of Ryzen 2000.
  2. Don't worry about QVL. There's far too many RAM and CPU SKUs for any mobo manufacturer to test on a given board.
  3. "SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support " You don't have to buy a SATA M.2 SSD with your 3600X. You can get a normal NVMe one.

Regarding the freezing:
It only freezes for a second each time?
Any blue screens?
As mentioned above, to a memtest or Prime95 (or I've also had good/fast results with F@H believe it or not). The system should be able to run those without crashing for up to 24 hours. Start with a couple hours during the day when you can monitor the results. If no crashes, try an overnight test. If it's still running when you wake up, leave it going for the full 24 hours. I've had a known bad stick of RAM go on Prime95 for 19 hours before throwing an error.

Reactions: kindminded

logainofhades

Titan
Single stick of ram, with a Ryzen CPU, is a big performance hit. Ryzen has to have fast ram, and in dual channel. Random freezes and crashes, I would suspect the PSU is the culprit. That PSU isn't of the greatest quality, and for your GPU, 650w is recommended. I would replace it with something like an EVGA G6.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Aug 10, 2022
  1. The Ryzen 3600X will do 3200MHz before it's technically considered "overclocking" . There's other caveats, but generally, as long as the system is stable, it's nothing to worry about. Since the B450 chipset was launched before Ryzen 3000, the 2933MHz advertised RAM came from the max supported speed of Ryzen 2000.
  2. Don't worry about QVL. There's far too many RAM and CPU SKUs for any mobo manufacturer to test on a given board.
  3. "SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support " You don't have to buy a SATA M.2 SSD with your 3600X. You can get a normal NVMe one.
Regarding the freezing:
It only freezes for a second each time?
Any blue screens?
As mentioned above, to a memtest or Prime95 (or I've also had good/fast results with F@H believe it or not). The system should be able to run those without crashing for up to 24 hours. Start with a couple hours during the day when you can monitor the results. If no crashes, try an overnight test. If it's still running when you wake up, leave it going for the full 24 hours. I've had a known bad stick of RAM go on Prime95 for 19 hours before throwing an error.
Yes it only freezes for a second each time, no blue screens, I will run the tests, thank you for helping me with your answers.

Aug 10, 2022
to test your RAM run MEMTEST86 through a few runs.
if your RAM is malfunctioning or your motherboard is having some issue with it it should return some errors.

try running CrystalDiskInfo and see what type of report it returns in regards to this disk.

go back to Windows 10.
i've found it to be a much better OS anyway.
later on if you still feel the need to be on 11 you can test again to see if they've improved on your situation with updates.
Thank you for helping, I will run the tests.

TRENDING THREADS