I need help!! Which car should I buy???

meeeemeeeee

Reputable
Jan 12, 2016
Hello everyone! I really need some advice on which car I should buy!
I'm getting my license and then I'm going to get a car. I want a reliable car that will last me a long time. I'm trying to decide if I should buy my friends 2001 Nissan Sentra with 200,000 miles which has a moonroof, fabric seats, a custom light up radio and a subwoofer and new brakes and new tires and some racing parts (It's pretty fast) for $800 or $900 with subwoofer. Or should I buy my parents 2006 Nissan Altima with 140,000 miles which has leather seats, Bose speakers, and moon roof for $1500? Oh and the owner of the Nissan Sentra and his dad we're both mechanics and it's never been in an accident. The Nissan Altima has never been in an accident either and it has no rust. Any help would be super appreciated!!

Solution
i guess if we compare the cars like computers it works...

the difference between fabric and leather seats is like having a sound card or relying on the mobo sound ..... both do their job, but that leather (sound card) makes you feel better.

200,000 miles is like a first gen i5 ..... gonna be slightly worse than the 1400,000 miles altima (2nd gen i5). both do the same job, one with less miles will last longer (also 'racing' screams engine damage).

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
i guess if we compare the cars like computers it works...

the difference between fabric and leather seats is like having a sound card or relying on the mobo sound ..... both do their job, but that leather (sound card) makes you feel better.

200,000 miles is like a first gen i5 ..... gonna be slightly worse than the 1400,000 miles altima (2nd gen i5). both do the same job, one with less miles will last longer (also 'racing' screams engine damage).

Solution

jacobnelson920

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017

I can see that. I'm not much of a car guy though, fortunately my dad has been a mechanic for 30+ years lol

If the Sentra is a SE-R 2.5L then it would be a hilariously fun hooligan's car for sure. The Altima is a much larger, more luxurious car but still quick with the 3.5L.

If it's a choice between the 1.8/2.0L Sentra or 2.5L Altima then both are pretty dull, but the Sentra gets better gas mileage. The 2.0L was fun back when the Sentra B13 was still a subcompact, but that B15 Sentra is as big as the previous gen L30 Altima (which came with a 2.4L).

mrmez

Splendid
MERGED QUESTION
Question from meeeemeeeee : "Which car should I buy?"

I doubt either of these will last a 'long time', but definitely go for lower miles, esp with the knowledge it hasn't been flogged.
All the BS fruit on your friends can you can buy yourself in time, a little difficult to replace fabric seats with leather for example.

Ralston18

Titan
Keep in in the family. Buy your parents car.

However it works out, one way or another, buying your friend's car is more likely to result in hard feelings and a lost friendship.

And, more objectively, the family car appears to be the better deal....

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
When looking for a car that will last you a long time, one does not think of a 2001 Sentra with 200,000+ miles on it. (can still be dependable and last you a long time, but that all depends on how the car was maintained. and just because it's mechanic owned does not mean anything. the shoemakers kids go barefoot and all that). And buying a car with Racing parts on it, depending on the parts, screams "driven hard", or why put on something. A cold air or ram intake and car back exhaust are no biggies.

if you know the altima has had regular work, been kept up on, oil changed on time, and you know it was not beaten on, then that might be the way to go.