[SOLVED] I need help with choose good ssd nvme in my second slot in my board

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Hi,
Is here anybody to help me with choosing good ssd nvme pci 3.0 4x ?
My board is Z370-HD3P
System disk in my computer is adata sx8200Pro 256Gb

Samsung 980 1TB
Samsung 980 500GB
Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB
Adata Sx8200Pro 500GB

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
All of them are TLC with 5 yrs warranty.
980 is latest but its Samsung's budget line with no DRAM cache which can be a downer. It is 128 layer though and that can make up a bit.
The ADATA is old by now and uses only 64 layers inspite of rocking a DRAM cache.
The 970 Evo Plus on the other hand has 96 layers and also has DRAM cache. I would go for this one. The default Magician software is also pretty good.

"Solid State Drives with a DRAM chip boast better performance than DRAM-less SSDs. This is because DRAM is much faster than NAND Flash memory. Instead of your PC having to root around your SSD for the relevant data, your PC can go straight to the DRAM. As a result, your PC won’t have to wait very long for your SSD to retrieve the...
All of them are TLC with 5 yrs warranty.
980 is latest but its Samsung's budget line with no DRAM cache which can be a downer. It is 128 layer though and that can make up a bit.
The ADATA is old by now and uses only 64 layers inspite of rocking a DRAM cache.
The 970 Evo Plus on the other hand has 96 layers and also has DRAM cache. I would go for this one. The default Magician software is also pretty good.

"Solid State Drives with a DRAM chip boast better performance than DRAM-less SSDs. This is because DRAM is much faster than NAND Flash memory. Instead of your PC having to root around your SSD for the relevant data, your PC can go straight to the DRAM. As a result, your PC won’t have to wait very long for your SSD to retrieve the data it needs. This results in a much faster experience for the end user. "

Solution
Knowing only what you've said so far, I'd probably lean toward a 1 TB drive because you may never notice the advantages of the smaller capacity 970 Evo Plus.

You have to make a judgement about whether or not you will ever need more than 500 GB capacity.

I need some SSD nvme for gaming. My games have 250gb, i need at least 500Gb....
I would still go with the 970 Evo among those in any capacity as it is the better drive...

Lukhino

Reputable
Jul 8, 2020
Knowing only what you've said so far, I'd probably lean toward a 1 TB drive because you may never notice the advantages of the smaller capacity 970 Evo Plus.

You have to make a judgement about whether or not you will ever need more than 500 GB capacity.

It is a good question :) I think 500Gb is good for me...

SSDUSD
Samsung SSD 980, M.2 - 500GB
60​
Kingston KC2500, M.2 - 500GB
67​
Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS, M.2 - 500GB
76​
ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO, M.2 - 512GB
80​
Samsung SSD 980, M.2 - 1TB
100​

Last edited:
It is a good question :) I think 500Gb is good for me...

SSDUSD
Samsung SSD 980, M.2 - 500GB
60​
Kingston KC2500, M.2 - 500GB
67​
Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS, M.2 - 500GB
76​
ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO, M.2 - 512GB
80​
Samsung SSD 980, M.2 - 1TB
100​
I would go with the Kingston here as it is moderately priced inspite of having DRAM cache and 96 layers. Its similar to the Evo Plus.
If you want 1tb then go with the 980.

Reactions: Lukhino
I would opt for the 1tb samsung 980.
Mainly for the extra capacity.
Use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the 1tb ssd.
Here is a link to the app and instructions:
A simple large C drive will be easier to manage than two devices.
When done, you can retire or repurpose your 250gb ssd. I would simply keep it aside as a backup for this point in time.

As to performance, there is minimal difference in performance among all ssd devices in the real world.
True, pcie connected devices bench higher sequentially, but we do very little of that.
Here is an amusing video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA