Question I need help with choosing an appropriate PSU for my system under low budget

May 17, 2024
I have a very low-end desktop and I'm struggling with choosing which power supply is best for my system.

My system : i5-2400 3.1Ghz ( I know is old, but is what I can currently afford)
16Gb DDr3 1600Mhz ram
320Gb + 1TB HDDs
ZOTAC GTX 1060 6Gb AMP edition

The motherboard is nothing fancy, just a low-end LGA 1155 board with 2 fans only.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I have a very low-end desktop and I'm struggling with choosing which power supply is best for my system.

16Gb DDr3 1600Mhz ram
320Gb + 1TB HDDs

The motherboard is nothing fancy, just a low-end LGA 1155 board with 2 fans only.
This power supply calculator may help you: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Reactions: Bless0911

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where are you located? Preferred site for purchase? What is your budget and what is the make and model of your case? If the build is a prebuild system, you might want to specify that before you go shopping for a PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

16Gb DDr3 1600Mhz ram
320Gb + 1TB HDDs

What is your replacement budget?

May 17, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where are you located? Preferred site for purchase? What is your budget and what is the make and model of your case? If the build is a prebuild system, you might want to specify that before you go shopping for a PSU.
I'm located in South Africa. I would say my budget is around R1000 which is approximately $55. It is a pre-build system.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, this was one of my options but I thought it would not be enough cause of the 80+ rating, and I heard people saying that it's better to consider bronze and above.
Those ratings are a matter of efficiency, not quality. See here:

You would need to increase your budget to get a higher quality PSU.

May 17, 2024
May 17, 2024
Those ratings are a matter of efficiency, not quality. See here:

You would need to increase your budget to get a higher quality PSU.
I'm new to some of these things. So how much do you suggest I should spend? or which PSU should I consider?

May 17, 2024

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'll start saving up for it, but is it worth it? Considering I don't plan on upgrading it anytime soon.
Only you can determine the worth to you and how quickly you need a replacement.

For the older tech, even the first one recommended would be an improvement. Given the age of the rest of the system, I would go with the less expensive option and then start saving for a complete system upgrade in the future.

May 17, 2024
Only you can determine the worth to you and how quickly you need a replacement.

For the older tech, even the first one recommended would be an improvement. Given the age of the rest of the system, I would go with the less expensive option and then start saving for a complete system upgrade in the future.
Thanks a lot for the input. I think I'll upgrade to a gaming desktop in future but now I don't see the point cuz I only play old titles like GTA 5 and don't really care about FPS above 60. Thanks again.