Question Upgrading to a new GPU, using an older system

Christopher127

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate any expertise for my issue, thank you so much!

I have a Z370 motherboard with a 8700k CPU, a 1200W PSU(from 2016), x4 RAM 16GB 2400 speed and a 980ti GPU and I want to upgrade my GPU to a 4070 Super.
My worry is that it may not be that simple, to just put a 4070 super in my system so here are my questions:
1. Will my motherboard work well and not hinder any performance for the 4070Super? Or should I upgrade my MB/CPU too.
2. Will a Z370 motherboard with PCIE 3.0 lower the performance of the 4070 super that has PCIE 4.0?
3. I have a Corsair 1200W PSU from 2016, should I get a new PSU for the 4070Super(incase psu is too weak for the gpu) or just a new PSU in the event my current PSU blows up or dies?

And please feel free to give any complete advice for my system as I am willing to upgrade the Motherboard and CPU and RAM and PSU to have the best experience and safety as I do have a old PSU for sure.
Main point is I only want to upgrade my GPU, but if I need to consider other things please let me know.

Cant wait to hear from you, cheers.
Chris

First of all a lot is going to have to do with resolution and refresh/frame rate target which you don't mention.

1) Your CPU will be a limiting factor with the video card, but depending on resolution it may only be minimum frame rates that you'd notice it on. This doesn't mean that you wouldn't get a big improvement over what you have video card wise just that of the CPU/GPU the CPU would be the weak spot.

You might consider getting some faster memory for that system, but if you're thinking of upgrading anyways I'm not sure it'd be worth investing in.

This article is the closest think you'll find to giving you an idea as to the performance (the RTX 4070 Super is a bit faster than the 3080): https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/cpu-vs-gpu-upgrade-benchmarks-testing

2) If it's lower at all it would be single digit percentage and not in every title

Here's an article that should give an idea for you: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-pci-express-scaling/

3) It depends on the exact model of PSU. If it's one that actually came out in 2016 you're probably fine. It won't have all of the latest protections, but it's so overkill wattage wise it would be able to handle 200% power excursions from the video card without issue.

Overall I think it would be smart to wait on a platform upgrade as AMD's 9000 series are right around the corner and Intel's Arrow Lake should be by the end of the year. AMD is also releasing new chipsets this fall with some different base features and will likely have X3D 9000 series in the next 6 months or so.

Christopher127

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for your speedy reply thestryker :)

The main reason for the GPU upgrade is to play Apex legends at higher and smoother frames than I am at the moment, which at the moment I have graphics resolution in-game at 1280x720 which is the LOWEST lol number, not even close to 1080p (and I would love to use 1080p resolution or even a little under) and at the lowest resolution and graphical settings LOW or OFF I am getting 100-144 frames but is not smooth at all when a fight begins in-game. I want the game to feel as smooth as it can, much smoother than now is ideal. I have a 144hz monitor and PSU is Corsair AX1200i.

It is not the best reason for me to just get a new GPU for the sole reason of having much better gameplay in apex legends, I know, so if you could can you tell me which GPU from AMD is the same in performance to a 4070 super, as maybe here in Australia and everywhere really AMD GPUs are cheaper so I hear. I have never considered the other team for familiarity sake.

Little by little I get exhausted because I only want to purchase 1 thing, GPU, and hope I get the effect I am looking for but there are so many things I don't know.

I guess I will end with, what is most important for me is that nothing goes wrong if I plug in the 4070 super into what I have already and nothings blows up or gets damaged from just the compatibility of things, and if PSU cables will be fine and fit properly.

Sorry for the ramble, and thank you for your time as it was very helpful.

Thanks for your speedy reply thestryker :)

The main reason for the GPU upgrade is to play Apex legends at higher and smoother frames than I am at the moment, which at the moment I have graphics resolution in-game at 1280x720 which is the LOWEST lol number, not even close to 1080p (and I would love to use 1080p resolution or even a little under) and at the lowest resolution and graphical settings LOW or OFF I am getting 100-144 frames but is not smooth at all when a fight begins in-game. I want the game to feel as smooth as it can, much smoother than now is ideal. I have a 144hz monitor and PSU is Corsair AX1200i.
I'm not sure you'll end up getting much better frame rates, but you'd have much better graphics with those frame rates. Upgrading to higher speed memory would likely make a bigger difference frame rate wise than GPU upgrade, but both would of course be ideal.

If you're considering upgrading DRAM just look for something 3200/3600 with nothing higher than CL16 latency. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...32768002&S=3200,8400&L=25,160&sort=fwl&page=1

There should be no problem with that PSU and it's still under warranty for a couple more years.
It is not the best reason for me to just get a new GPU for the sole reason of having much better gameplay in apex legends, I know, so if you could can you tell me which GPU from AMD is the same in performance to a 4070 super, as maybe here in Australia and everywhere really AMD GPUs are cheaper so I hear. I have never considered the other team for familiarity sake.
Most comparable AMD card would be the 7900GRE it has more VRAM and scales a bit better above 1080p resolution, but the 4070 Super is much better with ray tracing and DLSS is superior to FSR if those matter to you. https://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=565,560