Question I need help with my Optiplex 790 MT upgrade.

Oct 8, 2022
I recently decided to upgrade my current Optiplex 790 MT and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I currently have an MSI GTX 660 and wanted to upgrade to a MSI GTX 970. I also tried switching my power supply to a EVGA 600w for it. I'm not computer savvy so have been using YouTube videos as guides but despite that, my computer won't Post. An amber light blinks and 1 and 3 are highlighted. Reading a guide, I tested the power supply using the paper clip test and got it to spin. I also swapped the CMOS battery with a fresh one. I took out all but one of the RAM sticks and decided to revert everything back to see if the motherboard worked and it does. I'm super lost and don't know what to try. I appreciate anyone that could help or message. If there's anything you need like a picture of the insides or the exact parts, I'm more than willing to answer anything. Thank you to anyone reading.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I tested the power supply using the paper clip test and got it to spin.
The paperclip test is a flawed test since it doesn't indicate how much power it can effectively output to your platform. It's also why you're advised to use a dead HDD or something of little to no value when running the paperclip test, to simulate a load on the PSU.

What PSU's have you tried and how old are each unit?

Does your prebuilt have the latest BIOS version on it?

Oct 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I tested the power supply using the paper clip test and got it to spin.
The paperclip test is a flawed test since it doesn't indicate how much power it can effectively output to your platform. It's also why you're advised to use a dead HDD or something of little to no value when running the paperclip test, to simulate a load on the PSU.

What PSU's have you tried and how old are each unit?

Does your prebuilt have the latest BIOS version on it?
The current PSU I have is a SPI with a max output power at 400w. The one I wanted to replace it with is a EVGA 600w 80plus. Also I don't know the aged as bother were bought second hand. I'll see if I can add a photo of them.

Lutfij

Titan
both were bought second hand
That might very well be the issue. Can you verify what the PSU's powered prior to your purchase? If you had access to a reliably built 550W PSU you could rule out your units being faulty/lacking necessary power.

FYI,
EVGA 600w 80plus
EVGA is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit, 80plus is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. You will need to state the model of the unit, since EVGA have a number of units in their portfolio both new and old.

Oct 8, 2022
both were bought second hand
That might very well be the issue. Can you verify what the PSU's powered prior to your purchase? If you had access to a reliably built 550W PSU you could rule out your units being faulty/lacking necessary power.

FYI,
EVGA 600w 80plus
EVGA is the brand of the unit, while 600W is the advertised wattage of the unit, 80plus is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. You will need to state the model of the unit, since EVGA have a number of units in their portfolio both new and old.
The EVGA I can't verify. It did power up the MSI GTX 970 but I don't know if that determines whether or not it's good. The Spi was bought with the Optiplex and powered My MSI GTX 660 with no issues with Post.

As for the model number. I don't know which of this it is so I'll list them all.

P/N:100-W1-0600
UPC:843368034191
EAN:4250812407665
S/N:1603530604836593
CIN:0600AT164424

Those are the numbers I could find on the PSU.

Oct 8, 2022
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
Using that list(with a grain of salt), the power requirements show the GTX970 needing more power(for the entire system with said GPU dropped in).

EVGA tend to have hit or miss units within their own top tier lineups...I'd try and borrow a PSU from a friend or neighbor and get the ball rolling with your troubleshooting process.
I figured the 600w was enough honestly. It also might explain why I'm getting that 1,3 error since there isn't enough power. Is there any power supply you'd recommend?

Oct 8, 2022
Instead of buying, please borrow an unit with at least 550W at your prebuilts disposal. Buying parts for troubleshooting isn't exactly a smart idea. You forgot to mention if your prebuilt has any BIOS updates pending.
This may sound like a dumb question but how would I go about finding the BIOS update and the disposal?

Lutfij

Titan
Use the Service Tag on the unit on Dell's support page...should bring up a bespoke page with driver/BIOS listings on it. Cross reference your current BIOS version with that listed on Dell's support site. Use CPU-Z to see what your current BIOS version is, listed under Mainboard tab.