I need help with my PC build.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Okay, well I have a clusterfuck of questions.

On october 22nd (My bday) I`m getting birthday money, which also combined with my PS3+games sell money (Coverting to PC gaming <3) means after I get my new games my budget, minus the parts I list, is $450.

So this is what I already have don't need to buy:

1TB HDD

Now, here comes the questions.

Before I show you jack diddiliy here the PC I`m salvaging from:

http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.E262400.html?item=E262400&ref=GAS&tpl=detail&cm_ven=GOOGLESHOPPINGFEED&cm_cat=Electronics&cm_pla=Computers&cm_ite=E262400-000-000&adtype=pla

Now, if that doesn't work its an i3 4GB 1TB Dell All-In-One Inspiron 2320

Alright, so from there I know I can salvage the HDD, but I want to salvage these peices also:

Screen
Maybe the CPU (i3)
The DVD Box
Its 4GB Ram

So, suppose I tried doing that, could I? and which parts?

What I have planned:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hFI0

Its a $450 budget pretty much, and I dont wanna go past it.

That pcpartpicker build+this:

1TB HDD
Screen
4GB of Ram

So do you get what I`m saying? I want to salvage the parts, but I also am buying some of my own.

Now onto the PSU and the GPU.

So, the PSU sucks apparently, and I was thinking a couple of things, suppose I can use the i3, I get an extra $100 or so on parts, first I would upgrade the PSU, which sucks atm, but I also wanna know if I can use the PSU I currently have, so could this PSU I have selected work with my build? And if so, what is another one within 10 or less dollars that I could buy for my build?

Here is a recap of what I`m asking:

- Can I salvage my parts, and which ones?
- Which PSU should I get, or keep this?
- Will my GPU work with it, since it comes with no power cable
- Is there any way to keep the same price range (within $15+) and not downgrade the GPU?

Ty for reading!

LBen

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I'm fairly new so don't hold me accountable for being wrong, but I think I can help you out here. You could use the CPU, but it isn't the best. i3 is definitely a weaker CPU type. You could easily keep it but you will have to upgrade eventually (I'll recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072). The PSU is in dire need of an upgrade. You'll most likely need 600W or up. Look around for a new one, I can't recommend one specifically. The GPU is a great one but I'm not sure what you mean with the power cable issue. You could probably find a new GPU but that will take searching around to do so. I think you can keep the disk drive and the monitor. You might want to upgrade to 8 GB of RAM. If you have any extra money then a SSD would be nice too (128 GB if possible). Finally you could save money on Windows 7 since 8 is coming out and it will probably be going on sale soon. Hope I could help :)

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
You can't salvage the Intel i3 CPU with the AMD motherboard you've got picked out on PCPartpicker link. Perhaps you already know this, but you did not indicate it in any of your posts. There's no reason I can think of that you can't salvage the CPU, although as LBen said, it's not a particularly powerful CPU. But if you do decide to salvage it, then you'll have to select an Intel-based motherboard. I assume the RAM is DDR3, which should be usable in any system you build. But I would not put a $15 power supply in any build! The power supply, although it isn't sexy, is probably the most important part of the build. A poor one can cause all kinds of grief (BSODs, intermittent problems, etc.), or even fry your motherboard and other components.

The salvaging of the DVD drive depends on the form factor used, I'm unfamiliar with all-in-ones, but if they're non-standard (i.e., not 5.25") you may have a problem, don't know.

If you want to save money, re-use the i3 and RAM, pick a cheap Intel-based mobo, and with the savings put another $20 into the power supply.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
P.S. I didn't supply any links for power supplies and Intel-based motherboards because A) That's a lot of research to do, and, B) There are plenty of others who are up much more up to speed on those items and if they chime in after me I'll look silly.

You've obviously done some research to pick out an AMD-based system. Just do the same to find a cheap Intel-based mobo. And I've never heard of video cards needing a cable. They plug into a PCI slot on the motherboard. If the card needs auxiliary power, those cables come from the power supply. If the PS doesn't have PCI power cables then don't buy it.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Can we get things straight here? You're not really clearing anything up.
Do you want to re-use the i3 you have or are you going for the AMD build?

Using another brand/model/type of RAM to dual-channel what you currently have might give you incompatibilities. I highly suggest you get the specs of what you have right now.

Also, I see alot of negative feedback on CM PSUs, might wanna change that.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
The last pcpartpicker link you gave lists a Phenom CPU, and since you're salvaging the i3-2120, I don't see the point of that.
Also, you can't use an AMD motherboard with an Intel CPU, so we'll change that.
Dunno the case, but if you like it, sure.
I'm not too friendly with CM PSUs, so let's change that too.

And here we go,
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/iFB6

Subtract the i3 from the total price, and you'll see you'll have extra cash.