I need help with sharing internet with a neighbour.

qtt872002

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello, imagine a long hallways with 6 doors on each side. Each door is a different small apartment except for one that's a bathroom. The floor has a cable-modem installed at the entrance. I live in the furthest apartment from the entrance, with 4 apartments and a bathroom between me and the modem. The Wi-Fi signal from the modem doesn't reach my apartment.

As I was the only neighbour who wanted internet I installed a really long internet cable that goes from the cable-modem to my apartment. Then I installed a router in my apartment and changed the cable-modem to switch mode. That way I have the computer connected with cable to the router and I have Wi-Fi for the phone and Nintendo 3DS too.

Now the neighbour that lives in the apartment closest to the entrance wants internet too. The Wi-Fi from my router doesn't reach him.

So how can we do this? We can't change the location of the cable-modem or install anything if it's not inside my apartment or his apartment. (So I can't install a repeater in the middle of the hallway or anything like that).

Thank you.

qtt872002

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks for both your answers. I don't know how to better explain myself with my poor English so here's a map:
m9DT76e.png

The internet contract, line and modem is the landlord's. It's in a locked small room with the power panel, water valves and all that.

He just activates it if a tenant says he wants internet, and the tenant pays for it. I'm paying full price myself at the moment but my neighbour wants internet too so we would split the price.

The problem is the neighbour lives just right by the modem so he would have no problem with the WiFi from the modem. But I cancelled that WiFi so I could have cable and WiFi in my apartment using my own router.

The landlord didn't mind me installing a cable and a router as I was the only one that wanted internet and it was necessary as the WiFi didn't reach me, but now that has changed.

We don't have balconys, we have 2 windows to the street each, but my apartment and the neighbour's apartment look in opposite directions.

I can remove my router, use the cable-modem as router as it was originally and use my long internet cable to have internet in my computer, but I wouldn't have WiFi for my phone or Nintendo 3DS :(

nimbah_52

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Set your router to access point mode and turn the wifi and whatever else was disabled back on on the modem. Then you can have WiFi in your own apartment and the neighbour can use the signal from the modem.