[SOLVED] I need help with undervolting.

Dylan04

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
So,my gpu (RTX 2060 SUPER gigabyte windforce OC) runs quite hot during full load when playing games, so i placed more fans inside my case for better airflow, (currently have 2 intake and 2 exaust fans. But my gpu still runs very hot while gaming, it hits 87C, After doing some research i found out that it's the card build. Everyone owning the same card as me has the same problem because of the plastic backplate of the gpu and the poor cooling fans, so the card is running hotter than most gpu's. Some people were talking about undervolting it, i dont really know how to undervolt my gpu, i tried undervolting it with MSI afterburner but i got random fps drops and 1 sec freezes. Does anyone know anything about numbers or voltages that i should use?

Thanks in advance Dylan!

Solution
Undervolting the card, at least an NVIDIA one, typically requires you to manually set a VF curve. Depending on which software you use, this can be a tedious task.

I've found setting a power limit more effective in taming my card's temperatures as I found in some games the GPU will happily gobble up more power without offering more performance. In some cases I was able to shave off a quarter of the power, which translated to -10C (depending on ambient).

Dylan04

Reputable
Sep 4, 2019
That is not the card i have, i got the 2 fan one. this one.
https://www.megekko.nl/product/1963...rce-RTX-2060-Super-Windforce-OC-8G-Videokaart
[/QUO
What voltage did it run at before undervolting?
Waht voltage does it run at now?

Tom's review says it runs cool - https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-rtx-super-2060-windforce-gaming-oc
And i am using stock settings for my gpu now, because undervolting was never a succes and i didnt manage to decrease temps.

Undervolting the card, at least an NVIDIA one, typically requires you to manually set a VF curve. Depending on which software you use, this can be a tedious task.

I've found setting a power limit more effective in taming my card's temperatures as I found in some games the GPU will happily gobble up more power without offering more performance. In some cases I was able to shave off a quarter of the power, which translated to -10C (depending on ambient).

Solution

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
Tom's says that the card should run cool.
They said
"Verdict:
Gigabyte’s dual-fan RTX 2060 Windforce card is compact and performs well. But unless you don’t have the space or care more about slightly quieter fans than extra performance, the company’s higher-clocked Gaming OC is the better buy at about the same price."

There might be a problem with your card.