[SOLVED] I Need Helping Cloning Windows From Old To New SSD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aidfarrell70

Reputable
Mar 17, 2018
I bought a new Samsung 980 1TB SSD and I've installed it. I tried cloning windows from my old KINGSTON 110GB SSD (using Macrium Reflect) to my new one. However, when I did so I realized that neither the old nor new SSD would boot up windows without the ERROR 0XC0000F message. And the only way I could boot up windows was from my HDD which I didn't even realize still had windows installed on it (which got me wondering If I was always booting up windows from the HDD).

Even though my old SSD is the windows drive on my PC, I can't even boot it up from that one anymore without the error message.

Any ideas what I can do to get windows on my new SSD ?

Last edited:

aidfarrell70

Reputable
Mar 17, 2018
Set boot priority in BIOS properly.
Make Windows Boot Manager on Samsung 980 - first in boot order.

After that boot into windows and delete EFI System partitions from other drives. Leave it only on Samsung 980.

Would you say I am okay to now format the old SSD? considering I'm able to boot from the new one and I've got all data cloned to it.

I think I successfully deleted the EFI partition as it no longer shows in diskpart - View: https://imgur.com/a/6G8qGuz

View: https://imgur.com/a/ySNwOLA

aidfarrell70

Reputable
Mar 17, 2018
In those screenshots - you have booted into windows on 120GB drive.
Current active windows always uses C: drive letter.
Drive letter C: is assigned to 110GB partition (not 930GB partition).

I really don't know why when I definitely booted up from my new SSD in BIOS, something must be reverting it back. I do get a 'skip disc check' in boot up that has been happening for a few weeks if that's any clarification.

aidfarrell70

Reputable
Mar 17, 2018
I really don't know why when I definitely booted up from my new SSD in BIOS, something must be reverting it back. I do get a 'skip disc check' in boot up that has been happening for a few weeks if that's any clarification.
If I'm able to boot up from the new ssd when no other device is connected, do you think I can format the old ssd

Most likely you're booting from bootloader on HDD.
You have to delete EFI system partition on HDD.

Then only EFI system partition on 980 will be left. It should load windows on 980.
Only after that you can delete windows partition on Kingston drive.
C: drive letter should be assigned to 930GB partition.

Can you show a photo from BIOS boot priority settings?

aidfarrell70

Reputable
Mar 17, 2018

Then only EFI system partition on 980 will be left. It should load windows on 980.

Here is the diskpart with ONLY the 980 and HDD - they're both 931gb? so i don't know which, if any, is the HDD. View: https://imgur.com/a/AhL9EZG

And here is the devices page with only the 980 and HDD ( windows seems to boot from 980 instead of HDD) - View: https://imgur.com/a/78MMgc1

And here is a photo of my BIOS when all 3 devices are plugged in -

Hey, It seems right now I've gotten everything working. Windows now boots from the 980 when all devices are plugged in. Not sure what changed, weird.
If there are any problems here on forth I'll reply to you in this thread. I think i can now wipe my kingston.
Thank you for the help.